Safety & Health Environment Advisor (19820)
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Safety & Health Environment Advisor.
This role is field based in the south of England to promote the Safety and Health framework across our operational retail and funeral services regions. We’re looking for someone who has a passion and responsibility for ensuring everyone is safe and healthy whilst at work.
We’re offering a permanent full-time role (39 hours per week). As this is a field-based role you are required to hold a full driving licence valid in the UK. You will also be required to work remotely and stay overnight on occasion. A company car is provided as part of this role.
What we’re looking for
You’ll support the business in the development and implementation of processes and procedures and carrying out proactive assurance visits on a risk basis across the estate as well as undertake reactive visits as required by the operation to fulfil moral and legal obligations.
Your day-to-day tasks will include:
- Deliver a regional risk-based audit programme identifying best practice, opportunities for improvement and non-compliances across internal business areas and external suppliers/contractors.
- Proactively identify and analyse trends as well as collate and review SHE statistics across various functions.
- Take lead on identifying SHE opportunities for improvement across processes and work with stakeholders to develop and deliver improvements and remedial actions.
- Work with the Operational and Communication Departments to prepare and deliver SHE material such as policies, procedures, posters, presentations, and training materials.
- Offer support and guidance to Management across the society’s diverse portfolio, working with colleagues to improve compliance and nurture a positive SHE Culture.
- Coach, develop and train colleagues to enhance their understanding of SHE issues in collaboration with the Academy team.
- Conduct thorough investigations of accidents, incidents and near misses and work with stakeholders to identify and develop actions as appropriate.
- Undertake and review Risk Assessments in line with internal and external requirements.
- Represent the Risk team at Operational meetings.
Key skills required
- Highly organised approach with good coordination skills and attention to detail
- IT literate and a competent user of MS Office
- Resilient and comfortable working within our retail and funeral environments
- Experience working in a Health & Safety Advisor role is preferred.
- Able to work autonomously and manage own workload.
- Fire safety competence is desirable.
- Good understanding of manual handling & general safety
- Experience within a retail environment is preferred.
- NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety (or equivalent).
At Southern Co-op we offer a lot more than just a job. As we are completely owned by our 127,000+ members, we put people first. Become part of the family with Southern Co-op, who are proud to serve local communities and put people first.
We can offer you
- 31 days of annual leave (incl bank holidays) increasing over time to a maximum of 36 days after 15 years’ service.
- 10% discount in stores (double discount on payday weekends)
- Healthcare cash plan
- Share incentive plan
- NEST pension
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Opportunities to develop your skills through apprenticeships and our own in-house training & development programmes
Refer a successful candidate and both parties will be rewarded with a £50 voucher.
The referee will need to provide the referrers name, colleague number and store location when submitting an application.