Property Licensing Manager
£60,402 - £63,684 pa inclusive, Grade 16 and permanent market supplement award evaluation pending
Would you like to play a crucial role in the largest property licensing scheme in West London?
Ealing Council has one of the largest property licensing schemes in London. As well as Mandatory HMO Licensing we have boroughwide Additional HMO Licensing and Selective Licensing in 15 of our 24 wards. We forecast that potentially over 40,000 properties are licensable, which is over two thirds of the private rented sector in our borough.
In recognition of the significant opportunity these schemes present to the Council to tackle poor housing conditions and improve the condition of our private rented sector this role has been created to have a singular focus oversight and responsibility for the success of our property licensing schemes.
Property Licensing is a system with interconnected objectives which rely on each other to make the whole scheme function successfully. The Property Licensing Manager will have oversight of all property licensing functions including application processing, inspection, intervention and enforcement to ensure they are co-ordinated and ultimately to ensure the overall success of the scheme.
The Property Licensing Manager will:
- Ensure that the operation of the Council’s property licensing schemes meet the applicable requirements of the Housing Act 2004 and attendant legislation
- Ensure the property licensing schemes achieve their objectives
- Monitor the financial status of the schemes
- Develop and support officers in property licensing teams
You will be supported by property licensing team leaders and officers with significant experience from our legacy 2017 Selective and Additional HMO schemes as well as peers in the Environmental Health & Trading Standards service management team and the Head of Service.
This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to take overall responsibility for this function and to work with their teams to design, establish and implement innovative approaches which promote the opportunities the scheme presents and realise the potential benefits for our communities.
The Property Licensing Manager is also responsible for the systems leadership, management, supervision, direction & development of property licensing officers and will be committed to the support, training and professional development of all staff.
The ideal candidate will be a fully qualified Environmental Health Officer with significant experience of property licensing and experience of managing teams, but candidates with other fully equivalent qualifications and the relevant professional experience will be considered.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience necessary for this role include:
- Experience of managing teams of multi-disciplinary officers
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of all legislation applicable to property licensing
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including residents, officers across the Council and with our councillors
Desirable experience includes:
- Experience of all stages of applicable enforcement actions including civil penalties
- Experience of tribunal processes and appeal management
- Experience of using IDOX Uniform and Metastreet software
If you are committed to making a positive difference to the lives of our residents and working with our landlords we’d be delighted to hear from you.
For an informal discussion about this opportunity please contact Joe Blanchard, Head of Environmental Health & Trading Standards, by email to email@example.com.
Advice for applicants:
This role is subject to Ealing Council’s enhanced vetting process.
If you are interested in this role, click here to apply now: https://jobs.ealing.gov.uk/council_job/property-licensing-manager/
Closing date: Monday 4th December 2023