Senior Officer Licensing and Enforcement
Job reference: 237745
Salary: £34,723.00 - £37,261.00
Contract type: Permanent – 37 hours per week
Location: Wakefield One, Burton St, Wakefield WF1 2EB
An opportunity has arisen for someone to join a dynamic and growing team that will concentrate on improving standards in shared housing across the District. This new role will focus on delivering proactive and reactive measures to improve standards and compliance. It will work with larger landlords and other agencies throughout the sector and will be tasked with:
- Licensing houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)
- Proactively identifying new HMOs
- Inspecting properties using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System
- Managing a caseload of complaints and requests for advice
You will carry out this work as part of a team of housing enforcement officers and project officers with a focus on reactive enforcement and HMO licencing. You will have a degree in Environmental Health or other equivalent Housing qualification.
Ideally you will have a proven track record of delivering enforcement activity in a public sector setting. However, applicants from recently qualified graduates will be considered. You will have direct responsibility for investigations, enforcement using legislation and other intervention action. A detailed knowledge of housing legislation is essential, and experience of the private rented sector would be an advantage.
Applicants will need to be enthusiastic and committed to providing excellent public services. You must be flexible and able to work both as part of a team and from your own initiative. Out of hours work may also be required on occasion.
Benefits of the role include:
- Generous Grade 9 salary with annual increment rises (up to scale point 31)
- Flexible working hours
- Up to 31 days annual leave holiday plus up to 15 days annual flexible leave allowance.
- Hybrid working – 2 office and 3 working from home days per week.
- Casual car user mileage allowance
- Excellent Local Government Pension Scheme
- Training opportunities
- Discounted public transport and parking passes.
- Staff health care scheme
- Discounted leisure membership
This post is located in the Strategic Housing and Regeneration Service at Wakefield One in the centre of Wakefield. For an informal discussion about the post please contact Jim Goldthorpe, Housing Enforcement and Standards Manager on 07979 997324 or email email@example.com
This vacancy is open-ended. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once sufficient suitable applications have been received. It is advisable to apply early to avoid disappointment as applications will be assessed on a regular basis.
Closing date: 27 September 2023.