Senior Officer Housing Enforcement
Job reference: 237739
Salary: £34,723.00 - £37,261.00
Contract type: Permanent – 37 hours per week
Location: Wakefield One, Burton St, Wakefield WF1 2EB
An exciting opportunity has arisen for someone to support the Council’s priority work to improve private rented housing conditions across the District as part of the Wakefield Housing Plan. This role focusses on delivering proactive and reactive private rented property enforcement in line with relevant legislation and is tasked with range of work including:
- Responding to complaints and enquiries regard private rented property conditions.
- House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licensing.
- Landlord accreditation.
- Delivering the Council’s proactive area and theme focussed property improvement projects.
- Providing advice and support to private landlords, tenants, and homeowners.
You will hit the ground running in this busy and fast paced service area, engaging with residents and landlords, and working closely with colleagues and stakeholders to deliver better housing for residents. You will a degree in Environmental Health or other equivalent Housing qualification. Ideally you will have a proven track record of delivering enforcement activity in a public sector setting. However, applicants from recently qualified students will be considered. You will have direct responsibility for investigations, enforcement using legislation and other intervention action. A detailed knowledge of housing legislation is essential, and experience of the private rented sector would be an advantage.
Applicants will need to be enthusiastic and committed to providing excellent public services. You must be flexible and able to work both in a small team and from your own initiative. Out of hours work may also be required on occasion.
Benefits of the role include:
- Generous Grade 9 salary with annual increment rises (up to scale point 31)
- Flexible working hours
- Up to 31 days annual leave holiday plus up to 15 days annual flexible leave allowance
- Hybrid working – 2 office and 3 working from home days per week
- Casual car user mileage allowance
- Excellent Local Government Pension Scheme
- Training opportunities
- Discounted public transport and parking passes
- Staff health care scheme
- Discounted leisure membership
Reporting to the Housing and Neighbourhood Improvement Manager, this post is located in the Strategic Housing and Regeneration Service at Wakefield One in the centre of Wakefield. For an informal discussion about the post please contact Mark Hooton, Senior Strategic Housing Manager on 07887 932541 or email email@example.com
This vacancy is open-ended. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once sufficient suitable applications have been received. It is advisable to apply early to avoid disappointment as applications will be assessed on a regular basis.
Closing date: 27 September 2023.