Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding and vibrant place, and our busy Environmental Health team play an important role in keeping the city a safe place in which to live, work and play.
We have a rewarding opportunity for an experienced and confident professional to join our Environmental Health Primary Authority team as a Practitioner.
In this key role you’ll work with our Primary Authority Partners to provide support and advice regarding legislative compliance and best practice. You’ll also work collaboratively on projects to support our partners. This means you’ll need strong attention to detail and an enthusiasm for partnership working.
In return we offer an excellent benefits package including an enhanced pension at 18.8% and generous holiday allowance starting at 28 days.
- Work closely with our Primary Authority partners and provide advice and information on a range of Environmental Health matters, particularly Food Hygiene and Health and Safety.
- Review and audit Partners procedures and documents and provide formal Primary Authority Advice.
- Handle sensitive third-party data and information requiring a high degree of discretion and business confidentiality.
- Undertake site visits and meetings with Partners.
- Responsible for responding to queries and complaints from other local authorities, including notifications of proposed formal actions.
- Responsible for accurate time recording of all chargeable work undertaken for our partners.
The Ideal Candidate
- An enthusiastic and suitably qualified Environmental Health professional (EHRB or CIEH Registered Environmental Health practitioner or equivalent). You must hold suitable qualifications to demonstrate you are food competent under the Food law Code of Practice and have a thorough working knowledge of health and safety legislation.
- Experience as an authorised officer in food safety and health and safety matters and be familiar with the wide range of enforcement powers in such roles.
- Experience of assessing and auditing business management systems, including Food Safety Management Systems, HACCP, H&S Policies, risk assessments and safe systems of work.
- A team player who can work collaboratively to achieve shared goals and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to work under pressure, effectively manage your workload and take initiative.
- Great attention to detail and the ability to work accurately at pace.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.