Milton Keynes is rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play, and our busy Environmental Health plays an important role in making sure local people stay safe and healthy.
We have a brilliant opportunity for a senior practitioner to join as a key member of our team. You will be an authorised food inspector delivering our food safety official controls programme, providing guidance on, and investigating a range of food safety and health and safety matters.
We’re looking for someone able to lead many high profile and complex projects, working collaboratively to support colleagues across the whole environmental health service.
If you’re looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes City Council.
- Deliver food hygiene interventions, including inspecting the full range of food businesses.
- Investigate food poisoning cases and high-level health and safety incidents including major injury and fatality cases.
- Investigate a range of food related and health and safety complaints.
- Undertake and lead on a range of related projects.
- Contribute to other environmental health roles including the provision of Primary Authority guidance to our partners.
The Ideal Candidate
- You'll be enthusiastic and suitably qualified Environmental Health professional (EHRB or CIEH Registered Environmental Health practitioner or equivalent).
- You must hold a baseline qualification with experience to show you are food competent under the Food law Code of Practice and hold a suitable qualification to allow you to work as a health and safety inspector in accordance with the health and safety competency framework.
- Significant experience as an authorised officer in food safety and health and safety matters being familiar and having undertaken the wide range of enforcement powers in such roles.
- A team player who can work collaboratively to achieve shared goals and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to work under pressure, effectively manage their caseload and take initiative.
- You'll ideally have previous experience of supervising colleagues or be able to demonstrate through experience how you're ready to progress to this level.
We are really proud of the benefits we are able to offer our staff here at Milton Keynes City Council, including:-
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates of 18.8%.
- 28 days annual leave per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 32 days after 5 years.
- Holiday Purchase Scheme.
- Our Professional Development Centre provides access to courses such as in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership, coaching and mentoring and access to our Smarter Learning portal
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Health Cashplan.
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings on a wide range of retail, leisure and entertainment products and services such as Pizza Express, M&S, B&Q, John Lewis and Arriva Travel.
- Blue Light Card - Employees working within Social Care can qualify for a range of discounts from national retailers to local businesses in a wide range of categories including holidays, cars, days out, fashion, gifts, insurance, phones and much more!
- SmartGo – Aimed at encouraging low-carbon transport and healthy lifestyle with discounted travel e.g. Halfords, Arriva, Europcar, National Railcards and Stagecoach.
- Homebuy Scheme (for eligible roles).
- Smarter working which provides the opportunity to work from various locations including from home for a proportion of your role (subject to business needs).
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements.
- Childcare Subsidy.
About the Company
Milton Keynes is a diverse, welcoming, and expanding place, built on smart ideas with even bigger plans for the future. We have world class attractions, beautiful open spaces, and a great standard of living.
Milton Keynes City Council is one of the largest employers in the region, making a difference every day for local people. We’re responsible for all local government services in MK including education, housing, highways, and social services - around 240 services in all.
Our values are to be dedicated, respectful, and collaborative. If this sounds like you, join us for a stimulating and fulfilling career measured on results, and a rewarding work-life balance.