TECHNICAL OFFICER – CONTAMINATED LAND
DIRECTORATE: ENVIRONMENTAL AND COMMUNITY SERVICES
DEPARTMENT: ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH
GRADE F - £30,151 - £33,820 per year (pro rata)
33 HOURS PER WEEK
Location: Merlin House, Merlin Way, Ilkeston.
Hybrid/home working available.
An opportunity has arisen for a permanent Contaminated Land Officer in the council’s Environmental Health service to work 33 hours per week.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual with a relevant science degree or equivalent experience. You will need to have experience with geographical information systems and experience of dealing with the investigation and remediation of contaminated land.
Some of the key responsibilities of the role include:-
- Reviewing technical reports to support planning applications.
- Undertaking the work-plan in the councils’ Contaminated Land Inspections and Assessment Strategy.
- Identify potentially contaminated sites and obtaining all necessary data to allow determination of the risk to the environment or human health. Undertaking a tendering process to select contractors for intrusive site investigations.
- Assisting in other work undertake by the Environmental Protection Team including air quality and statutory nuisance investigation.
You will be an excellent communicator with a strong commitment to excellent customer service and be able to deal effectively with difficult situations achieving positive outcomes. A commitment to team working is paramount to this post as is the requirement and ability to analyse complex information and make informed decisions with often conflicting demands.
It is an exciting time to join Erewash Borough Council. Some of the benefits of working at Erewash Borough Council include:
- Generous annual leave entitlement.
- Casual Car Allowance
- Free workplace car parking within the Borough.
- Opportunities for training, learning and continuous professional development.
- Family friendly and flexible working policies available.
- Option to join the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- Access to the subsidised leisure membership with the Fit for Work scheme.
The closing date for applications is 14th June 2023 and interviews will be held week commencing 22 June 2023.
To apply please visit http://www.erewash.gov.uk/job-search
Alternatively, an application form and job description is available from Human Resources, Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire DE7 5RP, telephone: 0115 931 6000 (24 hr. voicemail), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a current employee of Erewash Borough Council and wish to apply for a vacancy, you must apply through your Employee Self Service account only. If you do not have access to Employee Self Service, you must complete a paper or word version of Erewash Borough Council's job application form.
The Council is positive about disabled people and those who meet the essential shortlisting requirements will be guaranteed an interview.
The Council also supports the Armed Forces Covenant and those who have previously worked in the armed forces and meet the essential shortlisting criteria will be guaranteed an interview.
Please ensure that you make it clear on your application form that you wish to be considered under these criteria.