Senior Environmental Health Officer
Closing date: 10/07/2023
37 hours / Permanent
£41,496 - £43,516 *
*All salary values are pro-rata.
Senior Environmental Health Officer | Ceredigion County Council Careers
We are looking to recruit a Senior Environmental Health Officer to join our Public Protection teams on a permanent, full-time basis.
About the role
This role requires the candidate to part of a committed and professional team of Environmental Health Officers, and Public Protection Officers responsible and accountable for the enforcement, control, development and maintenance of Environmental Health and Public Protection standards throughout Ceredigion.
The agricultural industry is very important in Ceredigion, and this role will be responsible for the operational delivery of the Animal Health & Welfare service, and the day-to-day management of the staff engaged in those services. A challenging yet thoroughly rewarding role that will be fully supported through all necessary training.
On a day-to-day basis you will:
- To investigate complex breaches of legislation and to prepare evidence and other material for the instigation of legal proceedings, including the service of statutory notices, and to give evidence in court, public enquiries and tribunals as appropriate.
- Possess, develop and maintain specialist and in-depth knowledge of the major work areas covered by the post; including keeping up to date with current legislation, best practices and Council and Service policies. Provide advice, guidance and expertise at all levels to users of the service.
- To manage the team members to enable the actions and targets set in the annual Service Plan to be achieved.
- To ensure that all relevant Council policies, initiatives and procedures are observed and adhered to by members of the team in connection with the execution of their work activities during the delivery of services.
- To manage the service team’s investigative work and report to the Environmental Health Manager those matters that require further formal intervention.
Our ideal candidate
We are looking to recruit an individual who is: –
- Able to build effective working relationships within and outside the work service area.
- Ability to manage and motivate teams and colleagues to meet negotiated targets.
- Ability to apply analytical skills to a range of practical problems.
- A commitment to implementing the policies, aims and objectives of the Council.
Whilst previous experience in Animal Health & Welfare is desirable it is not essential. The successful candidate will have at least 5 years experience of public service provision with at least 2 years experience working in a regulatory environment, preferably Environmental Health or similar regulatory service.
We welcome applications from non-Welsh speakers. All successful applicants requiring support to learn/improve their Welsh language skills will be offered funded lessons, during work time, to help reach the desired standard.
Our offer to you
We are committed to developing our people and will not only provide support to enable you to quickly and confidently take ownership of this role’s key areas of responsibility but in addition, we are committed to supporting your development in order that you can progress your career with us.
In exchange for your skills and commitment we will offer you a range of employee benefits including flexible working, competitive annual leave allowance, enhanced family benefits, lifestyle savings and employee health and wellbeing packages.
More information about our wide-ranging employee benefits can be found here.
We believe work-life balance is very important. To support you in achieving this, you will have access to the following discretionary benefits:
- Hybrid Working: Subject to certain conditions being met, you may choose to work from home or in an office location. Due to the nature of the role, it will be necessary for you to travel within Ceredigion on a regular basis.
- Flexi-time: Hours may be worked within a defined bandwidth, Monday to Friday, subject to service needs.
For further information and an informal discussion regarding this post please contact Heddwyn Evans on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see our careers website for the full job description, person specification and to submit your application.