Environmental Services Manager
- South Oxfordshire / Vale of White Horse
- Closing date
- 3 Apr 2023
- Environmental Protection, Food Safety, General Environmental Health, Health and Safety, Housing
- Directorial, EH Practitioner, Management, Senior / Principal
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Environmental Services Manager
Salary: Starting salary £66,264 (grade 11)
Contract: Permanent, subject to 6 months probation
Closing date: 03 April
Interviews: either w/c 17 or 24 April
Are you looking for an exciting new role in the management of environmental services in local government?
Would you like to work for two councils with some of the highest recycling rates in England?
Do you have the experience, skills and confidence to lead teams who deliver waste services to over 110,000 households every week, and regulating food premises, workplace safety and environmental protection?
If the answer to all of the above is “Yes”, this job may be the role you have been looking for.
South Oxfordshire and Vale of White Horse District Councils work together through a single workforce to provide services to residents across both areas. We are currently looking for a new Environmental Services Manager who can lead the team to deliver the councils’ resident services and regulatory functions in specific areas in the environmental field. This includes the provision of waste collection, street cleansing and recycling services; food and workplace safety and environmental protection.
Specific duties and responsibilities of the role
- To act as the contract manager for the waste collection and street cleansing contract
- To implement statutory duties and council policies in the provision of waste collection, recycling and cleaning services, which need to be efficient and effective in meeting the needs of, and responding to, the demands of the community.
- To be responsible for the regulation of Health and Safety within businesses in the districts, including the delivery of the inspection programme and alternative enforcement interventions.
- To act as a senior technical and scientific adviser to the councils on environmental protection matters, and to oversee the enforcement of statute law relating to this field.
- To oversee the response to nuisance and public health complaints.
The benefits we offer
- 33 days annual leave per annum. You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year.
- Salary pay awards – most jobs give scope for a pay increase after six months or the following April (depending on your start date) and we also review salaries each April
- Flexible working – a flexible approach to work that our employees love!
- A generous career average pension scheme which includes life insurance of three times your salary
- The opportunity to purchase a bike through Cyclescheme (cheaper than directly through a store) so that you can cycle to work!
- A salary sacrifice car lease scheme – a fully inclusive driving package for a fixed monthly cost
- Various schemes to keep you healthy (reduced gym membership, free swims, free eye tests for DSE users and more)
- We give you two days per year to volunteer within the local community.
You may have experience of the following: Technical Support Engineer, Environmental Services, Waste Management, Technical Administrator, Environmental Support Services, Administration, Supervisor, Environmental Health, Technical Support Supervisor, etc.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert