Senior Environmental Health Officer/Technical Officer
- Central Bedfordshire
- £40,705 to £45,657
- Closing date
- 24 Mar 2023
- EH Practitioner, Senior / Principal, Technical / Scientific
- Contract Type
- Full Time
Senior Environmental Health Officer/Technical Officer (11653)
Team: Housing Solutions
Job Family: Enabling CGB12
Salary: £40,705 to £45,657 per annum pro rata
Hours: 37 hours per week
Location: Working from home and any CBC offices, including Priory House, Shefford. You will be expected to attend a CBC office location on a monthly basis, and as needed to carry out your role
Contract Type: Hybrid - Permanent
Closing Date: 24th March 2023
Interview Date: 21st April 2023 - this will take place in person at our offices at Priory House, Shefford, SG17 5TQ
Central Bedfordshire is an ambitious authority, determined to be an exemplary one. Our strategic location and high quality of life mean we are one of the fastest growing areas in the country.
As a council we face the same challenges every business does - investing in the right places and delivering great results. Except for us, it’s all about our 289,000 residents. We’re totally focussed on helping to improve their lives and making Central Bedfordshire a great place to live and work.
We have set values and principles to represent the way we work and how we operate as an organisation. You can view a list of these in detail on our website.
This is a great time to join us on our journey.
About the role:
At Central Bedfordshire Council, we do all we can to ensure that people have safe and healthy homes. We want to make Central Bedfordshire a great place to work and live – and that means tackling poor living conditions and improving the quality of resident’s lives. As an Senior Environmental Health Officer / Technical Officer within the housing service you will be supporting the continuous improvement of the private rented sector across Central Bedfordshire, you will work within an enforcement, housing and licensing environment, as well as Housing Assistance. Find your greatness by working in a team that focuses on great outcomes for residents.
The role is both varied and interesting and combines the full range of private sector housing functions, mainly enforcement of housing standards and overseeing complex enforcement cases and may include delivering a range of housing grants and loan assistances and HMO licensing.
The team is ambitious and looking to improve the health and well-being of all residents within Central Bedfordshire. In this position the successful candidate will have a broad and complex caseload and will represent the service in a multidisciplinary team being responsible for tackling poor housing conditions, regulating private rented accommodation and may include enabling Grant and Loan works to ensure our residents are living in safe and healthy homes. The role will also be responsible for Landlord and Tenant engagement within the private rented sector.
To meet the requirements of this exciting role you must have expertise in housing enforcement, court attendance and demonstrate you have experience working at a Senior EHO/TO, demonstrating all the key skills and competencies required for this role. This includes:
- High level skills in communication
- Ability to negotiate and manage conflict to achieve desired results.
- Comprehensive understanding of strategic implications in the short and long-term
- Ability to adjust your approach to ensure collaboration and coproduction with colleagues and key partners Ability to forge quality professional relationships
- Understanding resource implications
- Supportive of others and understand and identify their strengths and developmental needs
- Provide sound advice and guidance to resolve complex situations
- Expert problem-solving skills ie find solutions not fault
Support others to understand change showing empathy and understanding of others views.
- Be flexible and respond to changing priorities and demands
- Inspires others by being an exemplary role model
- Act in a professional manner at all times
- Be an effective mentor
- Have a high level of emotional intelligence
- Ability to accept and deliver critical reflection
You will be self-motivated but also able to work effectively as part of a team to bring about desired outcomes. We pride ourselves in providing an excellent customer service and will therefore expect you to be able to contribute to this with strong interpersonal skills.
You will either hold a degree or equivalent in an Environmental Health or related subject, have at least 5 years in-depth experience in this area of work (Private Sector Housing), and be able to show continued professional development.
You will be provided with the opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills further through appropriate training and will also play a role in the development of other colleagues within the team.
What we can offer you:
- As well as joining a friendly, dedicated, and hardworking team you will have access to numerous benefits, including:
- A hybrid working arrangement giving you the option to work from home and access any CBC office location. We recognise and value the importance of supporting our employees to balance their home and work life and to be able to work in the most efficient way.
- A £250 one-off hybrid worker payment to help you adapt your home for safe and suitable working conditions
- A comprehensive IT package to support you to work safely and effectively
- The ability to work abroad for up to a month a year
- Generous family friendly policies and practices
- A welcoming and inclusive environment that empowers differences
- Friendly and supportive staff networks
- Annual leave allowance 24 days + statutory holidays rising to 31 days with length of service. Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS). This is a valuable part of our rewards package for employees and includes Life Assurance. You can find out more on the Bedfordshire Pension Fund website. An exceptional Employee Assistance Programme which helps support employees with workplace changes as well as other work, family and personal issues A huge variety of courses and role-specific training and learning to help you succeed and develop Access to discounts on top UK retailers and local retailers
Central Bedfordshire Council has its own vision and values that are integral to everything we do. Our area vision is to make Central Bedfordshire 'A great place to live and work’.
Sustainability matters to us. We aim to lead by example in tackling climate change. Read more about the action we’re taking on our website: Climate change – tackling it and our strategy
Our aspiration is to be a truly flexible employer. We welcome discussion on location, hours and working pattern as part of the application process.
You will be expected to demonstrate how you meet the key accountabilities and competencies detailed within this Senior EHO_TO Recruitment Pack
For an informal discussion about this position, please contact: Rachel Shalan at Rachel.email@example.com or call 0300 300 4417.
For queries related to the recruitment of this vacancy, please contact: The Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Central Bedfordshire Council reserves the right to close this vacancy before the advertised date if a large number of applications are received. If you would like to apply for this position, then please keep information in mind when preparing your application.
Central Bedfordshire Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all employees, volunteers and contractors to share this commitment. This post is subject to the disclosure of criminal records.
Central Bedfordshire Council is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to improving the diversity of our workforce to better reflect the communities we serve. Therefore, we welcome applications from everyone. In addition, we are a Disability Confident employer, we are working to become a Disability Confident leader in our community.
To maintain a fair and consistent approach for applicants, it is Central Bedfordshire Council's policy to only consider applications made via our online application system and we therefore thank you for not submitting your application offline.
If you require assistance to apply for our roles, help with writing your CV, interview techniques or careers advice please contact our team of careers advisors at email@example.com Our service is confidential, impartial and free for all.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert