(Senior) Environmental Health Officer / Food Safety Officer
£26,412 - £43,680
Job reference REGU2642 & REGU2643
Closing date: 05 July 2022 12:00
Our Environmental Health service is expanding and we are pleased to offer these exciting opportunities to join our teams. As such, we want new officers keen to expand their skills and experiences, to help us to deliver real improvements for our residents and businesses alike.
North Herts Council is a large rural district with approximately 125,000 residents, with four historic towns, Hitchin, Baldock, Royston and Letchworth Garden City, and has a clear vision: “to make North Hertfordshire a district in which everyone who lives, works or visits is able to flourish”. The posts we are looking to fill, play critical roles in delivering this, and are at the heart of why we are looking to offer these exciting career opportunities to the right people.
We have two core teams, both providing supportive, friendly and focused teams, committed to delivering excellent and professional responses in everything we do. We will also offer you genuine opportunities to develop and nurture your skills, with a real commitment to help you develop, so you can then help improve the conditions and standards for our residents, businesses and visitors.
You will lead a small team, responsible for a specific part of our district, but help colleagues to ensure all our communities are safe. To deliver this, you will be expected to travel throughout the district, and be willing and able to work outside of normal office hours on occasions.
1 x Commercial Team Officer
You will support the delivery of our public health work, our food intervention programme and the other necessary tasks required to ensure our commercial sector is safe, compliant and able to flourish. To deliver this, you will need to have recent regulatory experience of the commercial sector, be both food authorised and an EHRB (or equivalent) registered Environmental Health Practitioner, Food Safety Officer or Technical Officer registered with the CIEH, or be willing to develop to achieve this.
2 x Officers for the Environmental Protection and Housing Team
The team undertakes many aspects of the environmental protection and housing work that you would normally expect of such teams to help maintain and improve the lives of our residents and communities. You will work in partnership with our Technical Officers, who, under your supervision (depending on your experience and grade), will also grow and develop, so that your team will actively contribute to an effective service.
Our commitment to you
- You will be supported to utilise and develop your skills in addressing the reactive and proactive work of your team.
- As we want our officers to be registered with the CIEH, we will pay your membership.
- You must be competent in your work, so we offer generous training provision. Although aimed at providing on-going essential training, it also allows your personal development. We want you to achieve the CPD you need to maintain your professional status and improve your skills, so actively encourage and support you to attain this.
- We offer an excellent work/life balance. These posts are based at our Council offices in Letchworth, but you have access to our exceptional agile and flexible working arrangements, allowing working from home, and up to 2 days off each flex period.
In addition to the above, we will offer you;
- Local Government Pension Scheme (18% employer contribution)
- Generous annual leave, including Christmas close down
- Occupational sick pay and staff welfare assistance provision
- Free on-site and in-district car parking
- Staff discounts
Interview dates: 18 and 19 July 2022
For an informal chat, contact either Frank Harrison (Environmental Health Manager) on 01462 47486, Liz DeVere (Commercial Team Manager) on 01462 474520 or Shayne Crowe (Environmental Protection & Housing Manager) on 01462 474360.