My client in Devon is recruiting for an Environmental health Officer/ Private Sector Housing Officer (Empty Properties) to assist in service delivery to bring empty homes back into use as housing accommodation and to encourage and arrange the re-use of empty homes and reduce the number of long term empty properties within the borough.
- Undertake inspections of empty properties to determine conditions with reference to all relevant legislation, standards and guidance.
- Prepare reports and maintain records on conditions of empty properties, including detailed specifications and schedules of works to remedy defects to achieve compliance with current legislation, Council policies and eligibility for financial assistance.
- Assess the proportion of and nature of financial assistance to be awarded to property owners.
- Conduct and/or oversee assessment/inspections and enforcement activity, maintain accurate records and prepared reports for complex cases in accordance with legislation, codes of practice and the highest standards of professional practice for presentation at Court, Public and Planning Enquiries and Licensing Hearings.
- Undertake enforcement action where necessary, including the use of Enforced Sale and Compulsory Purchase (CPO).
- To collate evidence and co-ordinate CPO activity for empty homes.
- Inspect and assess the progress and quality of all renovation works in accordance with relevant legislation, standards and guidance.
- Ensure satisfactory completion of all works required by enforcement action, grant conditions and tender documents.
- Develop processes for tackling empty properties using the various options and solutions available, including enforcement action, CPO and Enforced Sale.
- Maintain the empty homes register and record advice provided and any enforcement action taken in respect of individual properties for reporting purposes.
Knowledge and Experience
- BSc/MSc or Diploma in Environmental Health
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health/Trading Standards Institute or equivalent body.
- HHSRS Certification
- Experience of undertaking CPO’s, Enforced Sale of empty properties.
- Up to date working knowledge of housing, environmental health legislation and Codes of Practice.
To register your interest, please either call 020 8125 4321 or email email@example.com.