Private Sector Housing Officer
Full Time Salary: £30,451 - £34,728
Closing Date: 06/11/2021
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. With modern working practices where flexibility is commonplace and performance is measured on outcomes and results, alongside a generous holiday entitlement, you can experience a fulfilling job and great work-life balance.
Please note that this role is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Private Sector Housing Officer. Regulation of the private rented sector is a specialist area of work and applicants should have the skills and experience to undertake complex investigations and enforce Housing Health and Safety Rating System inspections and the mandatory HMO licensing scheme.
- To ensure the highest quality of private sector housing in Milton Keynes by undertaking investigations, inspections and enforcement activities in response to complaints and enquiries, ensuring that government and council policies, objectives, plans, priorities and legislation are successfully implemented.
- Ensure the HMO licensing scheme is applied correctly and proactively work to identify new HMO’s that may require a licence or compliance with safety standards and management regulations.
- Produce detailed schedules of work to ensure compliance with all legislation and regulations including the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
- To undertake enforcement action and when necessary prepare cases for prosecution and attend court to accurately present evidence.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Working knowledge and practical application of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.
- Extensive knowledge of all relevant legislation and codes of practice for regulating private sector housing standards; in particular, the Housing Act 2004 and relevant parts of the Housing and Planning Act 2016.
- Evidence of dealing with private sector housing standards, carrying out complex investigations and inspections and preparing cases for tribunal or magistrate court.
- Professional qualification of Chartered Institute of Environmental Health BSc Honours or MSc or appropriate Housing Qualification or equivalent demonstrable knowledge in private sector housing regulation.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to a range of audiences
- Ability to analyse, interpret and explain complex legislation and guidance
- Ability to plan and prioritise work and delivery deadlines
- Ability to compile reports and investigate outcomes.