Business Compliance Team Leader
Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
£36,735 - £41,100
About the Team
The Government has announced that OPSS will host the new national regulator for construction products, driving the improvement of safety and performance standards and ensuring compliance with construction product regulations. This will involve collaborating with our partners in Government, local authorities and elsewhere to ensure that public confidence in the safety and performance of construction products is improved and maintained. OPSS, working closely with the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, is currently preparing for this exciting new role.
About the Role
This is an exciting opportunity for a flexible and results-oriented individual with the energy to make positive change happen within and beyond OPSS. In this purposeful, and multi-faceted role you will play a part in building our reputation as an exemplar regulator. Candidates will need to be flexible in approach and prepared to lead on a range of tasks. You will hold specific responsibilities for planning and developing our regulatory capacity, capability and operational approach. It is envisaged that the role will, over the next twelve months and in accordance with the Parliamentary timetable, transit to that of an Enforcement and Compliance Team Leader leading a team of Regulatory Compliance Officers. The role will suit people with experience of operating within a regulatory compliance environment: for example, either as a regulator or as one with a role in ensuring goods, services or systems meet regulatory and other standards.
The post is based in Birmingham. When the team is operational, some travel – possibly to any UK location - is likely to be required.
Please come to our virtual open session to find out more about the Construction Products & Delivery Team and OPSS. The virtual open session will take place Friday 1st October 2021 at 4pm.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest and to receive an invite.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Crafting and delivering a programme of activity which improves understanding of the relevant legislation and supports businesses and other institutions in their efforts towards compliance, ensuring that individual projects deliver positive impacts within financial and technical parameters.
- Actively building and handling relationships across a variety of organisational and functional boundaries to lead multi-disciplinary teams to focus on and resolve important issues and challenges impacting upon UK compliance levels.
- Developing extensive specialist knowledge, to provide the national enforcement perspective to colleagues and partners and contribute to wider departmental initiatives.
- Reviewing market information, technical data and evidence to assess and action cases and enquiries ensuring effective handling of unsafe construction products on the market, to deliver appropriate responses and outcomes.
- Developing and leading a team of Regulatory Compliance Officers, ensuring that their professional experience equips them with the skills and knowledge on their journey to become an exemplar compliance officer within OPSS.
Skills & Experience
This is a great opportunity for an individual with the energy to act as a visible, trusted, and professional ambassador for the team. We are keen to hear from people with varying backgrounds, who can demonstrate:
- Experience of operating within a regulatory compliance environment.
- Strategic problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to scope, plan, and guide the delivery of results-oriented, multifaceted work plans.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to understand and apply technical information in diverse sectors and business types.
- Strong leadership skills, including an interest in developing yourself and those you lead, as well as being committed to improving team processes.
Apply before 11:55 pm on Monday 25th October 2021.