Our client in South East Wales is looking to appoint a Compliance Officer which under the supervision of the Principal Trading Standards Officer will conduct investigations which could culminate in court action or other statutory sanctions; conduct inspections; and deliver enforcement projects; scrutinise and develop enforcement intelligence for the Commercial Standards Service.
1. To carry out interventions in relation to breaches of Consumer Protection legislation.
2. To participate in the service's programme of comprehensive, preventative inspections, projects, sampling, advice and enforcement activities for a range of Consumer Protection and related legislation
3. To participate in the service's investigations relating to identified breaches or potential breaches of Consumer Protection and related legislation, using statutory powers and adhering to codes of practice where appropriate, such as the Police and Criminal Evidence Act
4. To prepare reports for consideration of legal proceedings on Consumer Protection and related legislation and to attend court and give evidence as required
5. To take statements and prepare casework (documentation and procedures) for use in court
6. To make appropriate records of work carried out undertake appropriate administrative functions and respond to all matters including correspondence in accordance with council policies, to include the use of information technology
7. To liaise when necessary with other enforcement agencies, government departments and professional bodies and attend meetings as a representative of the Authority or the Section with relevant partners within the public sector, regulatory environment and others
For this role it is essential that you have previous experience as a Compliance or Licensing Officer and have detailed knowledge of consumer protection.
You will be expected to carry out inspections and take statements, there will also be some evening work so please be aware of this before applying. The length of contract will be 3 months initially and the pay rate is £25/hour