Environmental Health Officer/ Senior
RG5 – RG7b, £27,041 - £38,990 pa, plus a market supplement of £3,212 pa
Come and join us at Reading Borough Council! The Environmental Protection and Nuisance Team are seeking an enthusiastic and motivated Senior /Environmental Health Officer.
The team manages enquiries on environmental protection matters including noise, air quality, contaminated land, private water supplies, environmental processes, licensed events (such as Reading Festival), pest control and the Animal Warden Service.
About the role
As well as getting involved in all aspects of environmental protection you will be carrying out inspections, investigating complaints and evaluating risks in relation to domestic and commercial nuisance enquiries, and taking enforcement action in line with the Council’s enforcement policy. You will also be responding to licensing and planning consultations on behalf of the team.
Some work outside of normal office hours will be required, and you will need a flexible approach to your work. You should be able to communicate effectively with colleagues, members of the public and other agencies, both verbally and in writing.
- A full driving licence is essential.
- You must possess a degree/diploma from an Environmental Health course accredited by CIEH as well as the Environmental Health Registration Board (EHRB) Certificate. If you have yet to complete your PPP but are an experienced Officer we would welcome an application from you.
- Certificate/Diploma in Acoustics and/or other specialist area of EP work would be an advantage.
We offer a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition is strongly encouraged, and you’ll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
A competitive salary alongside a range of benefits including:
- Generous holiday entitlement - 24 days holiday each year plus bank holidays - rising to 32 days after 10 years' service, with the option to buy additional leave.
- Maternity, adoption, parental and sick pay.
- A wide range of flexible working opportunities.
- Modern working environment at the Civic Offices in the heart of Reading.
- Access to a range of training and learning opportunities to help you develop.
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- On-site day nursery (Kennet Day nursery) rated outstanding by Ofsted, and a salary sacrifice scheme to help lower the cost of your nursery fees.
For more information on this position please contact Catherine Lewis by emailing email@example.com
Closing date: 21 August 2021.
Interview date: TBC
Please note that the closing date is given as a guide. We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications has been received. Therefore, it is strongly advised that you complete and return your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Reading Borough Council is a Disability Confident Employer and is committed to the recruitment and continued employment of people with disabilities.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is the key to our success.