Environmental Health Apprentice
Environmental Health Apprentice Ref: 25-20
Salary: National Apprentice Rate
Number of Posts: 2
Place of Work: Breckland Council, Dereham
Hours: Full time, 37 hours per week
Basis: 4 year apprenticeship
We have two exciting opportunities to join Breckland Council as an Environmental Health Apprentice working in Private Sector Housing and Environmental Health & Licensing. The successful candidate will be supported to achieve a 4-year degree course in Environmental Health.
A bit about us:
At Breckland Council we have embraced the Government's agenda to modernise local government. Our approach is to lead change rather than follow it, and to add the best value we can to our communities. We achieve this by developing our employees to their full potential, providing them with the relevant knowledge, equipment and authority to carry out their duties.
Our employees enjoy excellent conditions of service including a local government pension scheme, 25 days holiday increasing with service (plus bank holidays), free car parking and flexible/agile working policies.
During Covid-19 our employees are predominantly based from home with minimal staff working in our office , we envisage this continuing into 2021 when we will be assessing how we use our offices going forward and work with our employees to understand what works best for them and us
We are looking for somebody who is keen to embrace working in a number of areas. We have two roles available. One role specialising within private sector housing to help landlords and tenants, ensuring that homes are safe and suitable. The other to work in Environmental Health & Licensing with a passion for working in public safety and dealing with environmental issues.
You have an interest in becoming an environmental health practitioner, working within the two departments. Every day brings new challenges and you'll be working alongside colleagues and other professionals such as the police, mental health staff and NHS staff, who are committed to the same goals and values. Whatever your current status there is an exciting and dynamic profession that awaits you and Breckland Council is here to support you every step of the way.
You will undertake a 4-year degree course in Environmental Health, with Middlesex University, and will need to have the right qualifications to be accepted for the course (see Job Pack for details).
OK, I'm interested... But is it really the job for me?
As our Environmental Health Apprentice, you will:
- Have a hand in all elements of the team's work - engaging with a number of Council Service Areas such as the Planning, Legal and Communications teams and supporting local residents.
- Assist officers with and progress to undertake independently, proactive inspections, compliance visits, investigations, surveys, sampling and interventions in commercial and domestic premises
- As knowledge and competence develops, communicate with residents and businesses to advise them on the relevant legal provisions and best practice recommendations
- Analyse and interpret data and information and implement decisions on a broad range of activities across the service area
- Support officers to carry out enforcement duties including collation and collection of evidence, preparing reports, drafting formal notices, and preparing cases for prosecution and appeal, including attending court as a witness
- As knowledge and competence develops, undertake a case load of reactive work, including responding to and investigating complaints, as well as proactive project work and educational activities where required
Download the Job Pack [108.28KB] (opens in a new window)
Closing date: 9am, Monday 28th June 2021
We are committed to being an Equal Opportunities employer, recognising the benefits of sustaining a workforce which reflects the diversity of the community we serve. We welcome applications from anyone who feels they meet the requirements of our vacancies - these are listed as essential requirements on the person specification (within the Recruitment Pack).
Please be aware that if you are selected for this role there will be a requirement to undertake a DBS check as part of pre-employment checks.