Environmental Health Officer
1 day left
- Full Time
Barnsley Council are seeking 2 highly motivated Environmental Health Officers to join their team. You will be working on a full time, fixed term basis (1 year fixed term from start date) and in return will receive a competitive salary of £32,234 - £38,890 per annum.
The Environmental Health Officer role:
The two positions available are both Career Graded roles.
Regulatory Services at Barnsley protect the health, safety and well-being of those who live, work in and visit the borough, enabling local businesses to comply with their regulatory responsibilities. That’s where you come in, as an Environmental Health Officer in the Covid Team. You will primarily be involved workplace outbreaks, investigating covid service requests, providing advice and support to businesses. There may also be the opportunity to be involved in other work of the service.
As an EHO in the Covid Team, you’ll be at the forefront of our response to the pandemic You’ll have a professional approach, and the ability to work with people, helping them comply with the legislation. You’ll also have the skills to take enforcement action when required.
Key responsibilities of our Environmental Health Officer:
- Undertake a full range of professional duties within one or more of the teams within the Service with minimal supervision, contributing to the delivery of the business and operational unit plans.
- Undertake enforcement action and investigate complaints and requests for service, undertaking proactive monitoring and assessment of non-compliance to relevant standards and legislation in accordance with the targets laid down in operational unit plans and as directed by a Service Manager.
- To carry out a range of complex regulatory services activities including inspections, incident notifications, issuing permits or approvals, complaint investigations, sampling and monitoring etc. and to undertake follow up action in the form of correspondence, statutory notices and enforcement action including preparing cases for legal proceedings.
- To provide guidance and supervision to colleagues within the service on Regulatory Services functions.
- Prepare reports, correspondence and notices, and serve formal notices (where authorised to do so), in relation to complaints, investigations and visits.
- Provide professional advice, guidance and information to businesses, members of the public and external agencies and acting as an expert Council witness at Court Hearings, Tribunals, Public Inquiries etc.
- Maintain accurate, up to date, detailed records of actions taken using IT equipment where required.
Qualifications and Experience we’re looking for in our Environmental Health Officer:
- Level 6 degree in Environmental Health and the Certificate of Registration with the Environmental Health Registration Board.
- A recognised qualification relevant to the work of the team, will unlock higher level positions dependent on your relevant professional experience.
- Knowledge of regulatory services and food hygiene/health and safety/infectious disease legislation is essential.
Skills we’re looking for in our Environmental Health Officer:
- A commitment to work flexibly.
- An appetite for engaging in continuous training and professional development in this rewarding field of work.
- Logical, methodical, accurate and flexible approach to work.
- Ability to manage a challenging workload, working effectively on your own, using your own initiative as well as part of a team.
- Good organisation and time management skills with the ability to work quickly and accurately to deadlines.
- Ability to carry out complex inspections and investigations, interpret complex legislation and determine the appropriate course of action to secure compliance.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills with the ability to deal with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong organisation and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure, being self-motivated, able to use own initiative and motivate others.
- Skilled in problem-solving and making effective decisions.
- Ability to undertake project management.
Creativity, ambition and a focus on people. That’s what matters at Barnsley Council. Our award-winning council is on an exciting journey of change. It’s all about putting local people at the heart of everything, listening to and doing good for our communities. We’re now more innovative, more efficient and provide better value for money.
Closing date: Friday 7th May 2021
To achieve your ambitions while shaping a bright future for our communities, apply now to become our Environmental Health Officer.
Apply for Environmental Health Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly