Specialist Level 2 (Environmental Protection)
Specialist Level 2 (Environmental Protection)
Permanent, Full-time (37 hours per week), Flexi-time scheme
Government Pension Scheme
Salary scale J £33,782 - £ 36,922 per annum
Applications will be considered from those who have proven experience in Environmental Protection/Environmental Health, but who are not currently qualified as an EHO/EHP. If appointed, the applicant must be willing to complete the CIEH Chartered EHP qualification which would be fully funded. Salary scale H (£27,741 to £30,451) would apply whilst working towards the qualification, increasing to salary scale J on successful completion.
Are you motivated to work for an ambitious Organisation, here to empower and inspire our communities to thrive?
Here’s some information about us
We are here to empower and inspire our communities to thrive. Every staff member plays a part in our success and achievement through challenging what we do, how we do it and how we can do it better. Ideas are continuously encouraged, new ways of working are trialled and we apply learning through experience. Through our ‘one team’ approach, we work in an agile way to empower our staff to be able to make decisions that place our customers at the heart of what we do.
We are delivering our innovative and forward thinking Customer Connect Programme which is transforming the way we deliver services by maximising digital technology and putting customers at the heart of everything we do. The programme is improving services, enabling valued customers to do business with us in a simpler way. Our new operating model will see traditional roles working very differently. Continued development of our people is central to our success.
We are proud of South Lakeland District and we serve communities across a rural area that includes two national parks, with the majority of the stunning Lake District National Park in our district, as well as western parts of the Yorkshire Dales National Park. With friendly communities, low crime rate, cultural attractions and excellent motorway and West Coast Mainline links to the North West, South Lakeland rightly promotes itself as the ‘best place to live, work and explore.’
We Are South Lakeland.
Some details about the role
The successful candidate will work alongside the Senior Specialist and other Specialist Officers in the Environmental Protection and Licensing team, to deliver the Authority’s commitment to this rewarding and exciting area of work. The successful candidate will be responsible for undertaking a wide range of Environmental Protection interventions, including investigation and enforcement of statutory nuisance/anti-social behaviour complaints, inspection and regulation of authorised processes, planning and licensing consultations, air quality, and contaminated land enquiries.
The successful candidate will maintain a good working knowledge of practices and methodologies within these specialist areas. They will be able to provide advice to customers, colleagues, councillors, and partner organisations and be proactive in seeking out new opportunities to build on the successful work already undertaken by the team.
What we are looking for in you
You will passionately live and breathe our purpose of ‘empowering and inspiring our communities to thrive’ and will role model our values of empowerment, leadership, equality and innovation.
In addition you will:
- Be a qualified Environmental Health Officer
- Possess a relevant degree or qualification along with either Chartered Status of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health, or have an EHRB certificate.
- Consideration will be given to candidates who are not currently qualified as an EHO/EHP, but who either hold, or commit to taking, a CIEH accredited qualification in Environmental Health, going on to qualify through the Chartered Environmental Health Practitioner Programme. In such circumstances, the Specialist Level 1 salary scale will be offered on the terms detailed at the beginning of this advertisement. The qualifications will be fully funded by the Council.
- You will be able to demonstrate that you have up to date and relevant Continuing Professional Development
- Have good IT literacy skills and be able to use relevant systems and databases
- Have the ability to research case law and good practice in the further development of this area of work
What we offer
- Being part of an innovative, forward thinking, supportive and solutions focused team
- Smart working – Working in a ways that gets the best outcomes
- Generous Annual Leave Entitlement (23 days holiday per annum + Bank Holidays (raising to 28 days after 5 years’ service)
- Flexi time – being able to accrue up to 13 additional flexi days + 5 additional banked flexi days per annum
- An attractive pension scheme
- Relocation Package where eligible
Would you like to join us, share and develop the experience and above all, make a difference…?
For further information including the Role Profile and details of how to apply, please visit us at https://www.southlakeland.gov.uk/your-council/job-vacancies/ We are unable to accept CVs alone for job vacancies, however, they can be attached to the application form.
For an informal discussion about the role, please contact Nicola Clark Senior Specialist (Environmental Protection & Licensing), in the first instance by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates who are shortlisted for interview will be informed by email.
Closing date for application: 12th April 2021
Interviews will be held: Week commencing 19th April 2021