Principal Regulatory Officer (Food)
Job Title: Principal Regulatory Officer (Food)
Salary/Grade: £33,324 - £40,869 (PO1-PO3)
Hours per Week: 36
Nature of Employment: Full Time
Would you like to be a part of The London Borough of Hounslow, whose diverse workforce are committed to making a positive difference for our residents and visitors by ensuring the quality of our services are maintained to a high standard?
The Council is embarking upon a major programme of change to modernise the way we work and reduce our carbon footprint. In April 2019 we moved to Hounslow House, a new landmark building located in Hounslow town centre, our new technology will enable staff to work remotely and flexibly to improve the service we provide to residents and to help our staff achieve a better work/life balance.
About the Team
We are looking for a qualified Environmental Health Officer/Food Safety Officer to join our small, friendly team working closely with our colleagues across Commercial Enforcement and Regulatory Services.
We take a risk-based approach to our work across Environmental Health. You will play a key role in the delivery of our food law enforcement service.
You will be expected to deliver official controls; deal with and inspect approved establishments; investigate food/public health complaints and take proportionate enforcement action in accordance with national guidance and internal procedures. You will need to be adept at recording and maintaining information and keep records up to date.
In return we offer the chance to work in a team with varied professional challenges. You will need to be highly motivated, self-reliant, and enthusiastic with a genuine commitment to achieve.
The nature of the post will require a flexible approach to occasionally work out of hours including evenings and weekends.
A full UK driving license and a suitable vehicle for council duties are required.
- Undertake official controls in a range of food business establishments to assess compliance with food law.
- Take proportionate enforcement action to protect public health and ensure compliance with legal requirements.
- Investigate food and public health complaints from members of the public and businesses.
- Investigate notifications and infectious diseases.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft applications (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, OneDrive, SharePoint) and CIVICA.
- Ability to prioritise and competently deal with a demanding and varied workload.
- Ability to work alone with minimal supervision.
Essential for The Role
- Due to the nature of the position, we are only interviewing candidates who are qualified Environmental Health Officers or Food Safety Officers.
This post is considered by the authority to be a customer-facing position; as such it falls within scope of the Code of Practice on English language requirement for public sector workers. The council therefore has a statutory duty under Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016 to ensure that post holders have a command of spoken English sufficient for the effective performance of the job requirements. The appropriate standards are set out in the employee specification.
If you would like an informal conversation about this post, please contact:
Obi Oranu (Regulatory Manager – Food) email@example.com or 020 8583 2628
Closing Date: 31st March 2021
Interviews will be held during week commencing 3rd April 2021.