Environmental Health Officer
Environmental Health Officer
£32,234 - £38,890 per annum
Barnsley Council are seeking 2 highly motivated Environmental Health Officers to join their team. You will be working on a full time, fixed term basis (1 year fixed term from appointment) and in return will receive a competitive salary of £32,234 - £38,890 per annum.
The Environmental Health Officer role:
Regulatory Services at Barnsley protect the health, safety and well-being of those who live, work in and visit the borough, enabling local businesses to comply with their regulatory responsibilities. That’s where you come in, as an Environmental Health Officer in the Covid Team. You will primarily be involved workplace outbreaks, investigating covid service requests, providing advice and support to businesses. There may also be the opportunity to be involved in other work of the service.
Key responsibilities of our Environmental Health Officer:
- Undertake a full range of professional duties within one or more of the teams within the Service with minimal supervision, contributing to the delivery of the business and operational unit plans.
- Undertake enforcement action and investigate complaints and requests for service, undertaking proactive monitoring and assessment of non-compliance to relevant standards and legislation in accordance with the targets laid down in operational unit plans and as directed by a Service Manager.
- To carry out a range of complex regulatory services activities including inspections, incident notifications, issuing permits or approvals, complaint investigations, sampling and monitoring etc. and to undertake follow up action in the form of correspondence, statutory notices and enforcement action including preparing cases for legal proceedings.
- To provide guidance and supervision to colleagues within the service on Regulatory Services functions.
- Prepare reports, correspondence and notices, and serve formal notices (where authorised to do so), in relation to complaints, investigations and visits.
- Provide professional advice, guidance and information to businesses, members of the public and external agencies and acting as an expert Council witness at Court Hearings, Tribunals, Public Inquiries etc.
- Maintain accurate, up to date, detailed records of actions taken using IT equipment where required.
- Operate and explain how to use complex specialist equipment to customers, where necessary transporting/removing it from the site, setting it up, ensuring it is maintained in good working order and calibrated to manufacturer’s and statutory guidance, and maintain relevant supplies of disposable equipment.
Qualifications and Experience we’re looking for in our Environmental Health Officer:
- Level 6 Degree in Environmental Health and Certificate of Registration with the Environmental Health Registration Board.
- Level 6 Degree in Trading Standards (or equivalent) + required completed modules (e.g. Metrology, Food and/or Feed) + portfolios.
- Commitment to continued professional development.
- Compliance with all criteria in the Food Law and Feed Law Codes of Practice (Level 2)
- Previous relevant experience including using a range of computer applications and ICT including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentation software, internet and e-mail.
- Practical experience of dealing with members of the public and businesses, with a level of competence required to achieve compliance with legislation.
Skills we’re looking for in our Environmental Health Officer:
- Logical, methodical, accurate and flexible approach to work.
- Ability to manage a challenging workload, working effectively on your own, using your own initiative as well as part of a team.
- Good organisation and time management skills with the ability to work quickly and accurately to deadlines. (Level 1)
- Ability to carry out complex inspections and investigations, interpret complex legislation and determine the appropriate course of action to secure compliance. (Level 1)
- Excellent communication, negotiation, conflict resolution and interpersonal skills with the ability to deal with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. (Level 2)
- Strong organisation and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure, being self-motivated, able to use own initiative and motivate others. (Level 2)
- Skilled in problem-solving and making effective decisions. (Level 2)
- Ability to undertake project management. (Level 2)
Closing date: Tuesday 16th March 2021.
To achieve your ambitions while shaping a bright future for our communities, apply now to become our Environmental Health Officer.