Environmental Health Officer - Food Officer
Environmental Health Officer - Food Officer
We’re supporting our clients as they adapt to a new world in the wake of COVID-19. We’re now recruiting for roles which will help our clients to deliver vital services and to resume business wherever possible.
Location: London (central/south)
Contract: Permanent and Fixed-Term opportunities available
Salary: up to £45k per annum
Becoming an Environment Health Officer (Food Officer) with Capita Local Government
The Environmental Health Officer will provide technical professional environmental health services with the overall aim of protecting and improving the health and wellbeing of every resident, worker and visitor within the Borough.
What you’ll be doing:
- Undertake the investigation of service requests and identify contravention of legislation and corrective action to be taken. This will include taking the appropriate action in line with the relevant policies, procedures and legislation in relation to appeals, infection, accidents, risk or other circumstances within the general purview of the section. Inspect or visit vehicles, stalls, plant or equipment.
- Carry out the enforcement of legislation and other powers in a timely and efficient manner, as may be required in line with service and statutory legal guidelines. This will include the presentation of evidence at legal and other quasi judicial hearings.
- Carry out planned food hygiene and food standards inspections and prepare reports and deal with related correspondence, notices and other documents.
- Scrutinise, process and comment on applications, plans reports schemes or other submissions for environmental guidance or clearance as directed.
- Undertake the sampling, testing or seizure of food, equipment, materials, or substances.
- Liaise with officers within Regulatory Services, council services, outside organisations, companies and individuals in order to deliver an effective Environmental Health Service.
- Ensure the Group Manager is kept fully informed on any aspect of work which is controversial, political, strategic, financial or otherwise of a sensitive or highly complex nature.
- Keep up-to-date with changes in legislation, policies, attitudes and techniques relevant to their service groups.
- Assist in the preparation and execution of publicity campaigns and educational work.
- Assist at meetings, working parties, public meetings, exhibitions or demonstrations
- Carry out specialist environmental health duties as requested and in accordance with experience and training.
- Carry out research or survey work related to the work of the Environmental Health Department. Participate in specialist project teams as required.
What we’re looking for:
- Degree in Environmental Health
- Higher certificate in Food Control
- EHRB registration
- Existing technical knowledge of the relevant areas of Environmental Health or the ability to develop technical knowledge.
- Experience of a variety of effective communications techniques
- Ability to accurately draft legal documents
About Capita| Local Government Services
We are Capita, the UK's leading provider of business process management and integrated professional support service solutions. Through bespoke, quality solutions, we've helped countless organisations unlock value and maximise their potential. With access to our range of unique and diverse opportunities, offering real career advancement and progression, we can unlock your potential too.
Capita Local Government Services (LGS), a branch of Capita Business Services Ltd, specialises in providing support, advice and resources to local authorities throughout the UK.
What's in it for you?
At Capita, we believe an open, transparent working environment that encourages ingenuity and collaboration - with colleagues, customers and clients - is what makes us so effective at what we do.
As well as a generous basic salary, we also give you company matched pension scheme and access to a variety of voluntary benefit options. These include a share save scheme, life assurance, holiday buy and many more designed to suit your own personal lifestyle, such as retail, health & wellbeing and leisure discounts.
You'll be joining a network of some of the most experienced, innovative and dedicated people in the country - the opportunities to learn new skills, develop in your career and grow and as we grow are almost endless. Our mission is to help you realise your potential - whatever that means to you.
What we hope you’ll do next:
Choose ‘Apply now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you. If you have any questions you’d like to ask before applying, you can contact Sophie Bennett (Sophie.firstname.lastname@example.org)
All interviews, assessments and background checks will continue to take place online, to completely remove the need for face-to-face contact. All Capita colleagues who can work from home should do so; and where it is not possible for colleagues to work remotely, we have taken important steps to protect those working from Capita’s offices. Social distancing, enhanced hygiene and safety measures are already in place at all Capita locations that are open to protect our colleagues and manage the risk of COVID-19. The welfare of our people is of paramount importance to us, and we’re doing everything we can to keep our colleagues and customers safe during this time
We’re an equal opportunity employer, which means we’ll consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic. We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion for creating better outcomes, and we’re committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.