Environmental Health Officer - Food Officer
Environmental Health Officer - Food Officer
Fixed term and permanent contract options available
Ensuring healthier communities with Capita Local Government
As an environmental health officer working within the Food Safety team, you’ll be providing technical, professional environmental health services to licensable premises within the London Borough of Lambeth, ensuring that these businesses are complying with all relevant legislation and standards. This is an incredible opportunity to use your skills and knowledge to make a real difference to the community. Your work will be pivotal in protecting and improving the health and wellbeing of every resident, worker and visitor within the Borough, and we’ll offer you additional training opportunities throughout so you can advance and develop in your career.
What you’ll be doing:
- undertaking the investigation of service requests and identifying contravention of legislation and corrective action to be taken. This will include taking the appropriate action in line with the relevant policies, procedures and legislation in relation to appeals, infection, accidents, risk or other circumstances within the general purview of the section. Inspect or visit vehicles, stalls, plant or equipment
- identifying licensable premises and taking all necessary steps to licence the premises within target times, ensuring compliance of licencing conditions, and taking the relevant enforcement action
- carrying out the enforcement of legislation and other powers in a timely and efficient manner, as may be required in line with service and statutory legal guidelines. This will include the presentation of evidence at legal and other quasi-judicial hearings, as well as initiating legal action where appropriate and advising the Legal Service of technical considerations and contraventions
- preparing and dealing with correspondence, licences, briefs and other documents
- creating reports in the appropriate format including the preparation and evaluation of statistics
- carrying out specialist environmental health duties as requested and in accordance with experience and training, as well as carrying out research or survey work related to the work of the Environmental Health Department.
What we’re looking for:
- a degree in Environmental Health
- a higher certificate in food safety inspection
- EHRB registration
- technical knowledge of the relevant areas of environmental health or a willingness and ability to learn
- excellent communication skills at all levels using different techniques
- experience of drafting accurate legal documents
About Capita Local Government Services
At Government Services, we’re transforming the way governments and local councils serve the public. We’re using technology, innovation and domain knowledge to improve services and deliver savings. Our teams are answering 30,000 emergency service calls every day and our Ultra Low Emissions Zone is helping Londoners breath cleaner air.
What’s in it for you?
- A competitive basic salary of up to £45,000 per annum
- 23 days’ holiday (rising to 27) with the opportunity to buy extra leave
- The opportunity to take a paid day out of the office, volunteering for our charity partners or a cause of your choice
- Ample training opportunities
- Company matched pension, life assurance, a cycle2work scheme, 15 weeks’ fully paid maternity, adoption and shared parental leave, paternity pay of two weeks…and plenty more
- Voluntary benefits designed to suit your lifestyle – from discounts on retail and socialising, to health & wellbeing, travel and technology
- Access to our Employee Network Groups, which represent every strand of diversity and allow colleagues to connect and learn from each other on an open, inclusive platform
You’ll get the chance to follow your chosen career path anywhere in Capita. You’ll be joining a network of 63,000 experienced, innovative and dedicated individuals across multiple disciplines and sectors. There are countless opportunities to learn new skills and develop in your career, and we’ll provide the support you need to do just that. Our purpose is to create a better outcome for you.
What we hope you’ll do next:
Choose ‘Apply now’ to fill out our short application, so that we can find out more about you. If you have any questions you’d like to ask before applying, you can contact Sophie Bennett (Sophie.firstname.lastname@example.org)
We’re an equal opportunity employer, which means we’ll consider all suitably qualified applicants regardless of gender identity or expression, ethnic origin, nationality, religion or beliefs, age, sexual orientation, disability status or any other protected characteristic. We recruit and develop our people based on merit and their passion for creating better outcomes, and we’re committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We’re supporting our clients as they adapt to a new world in the wake of COVID-19. We’re now recruiting for roles which will help our clients to deliver vital services and to resume business wherever possible.
All interviews, assessments and background checks will continue to take place online, to completely remove the need for face-to-face contact. All Capita colleagues who can work from home should do so; and where it is not possible for colleagues to work remotely, we have taken important steps to protect those working from Capita’s offices. Social distancing, enhanced hygiene and safety measures are already in place at all Capita locations that are open to protect our colleagues and manage the risk of COVID-19. The welfare of our people is of paramount importance to us, and we’re doing everything we can to keep our colleagues and customers safe during this time.