Senior Public Protection Officer (Private Sector Housing & Public Health)
SENIOR PUBLIC PROTECTION OFFICER( Private Sector Housing & Public Health)
• Input actual grade and salary range of post i.e:
Grade 8 £38,994 – £42,735
Havering is the eastern most London Borough, bordered by Essex to the North and East, the River Thames to the south and the boroughs of Redbridge &Barking & Dagenham to the west. It is one of the largest boroughs in Greater London with a population of 226,000, a great place to work, with a vibrant culture, innovative approach and its centre is the historic market town of Romford.
This role is working for a local authority based in Romford as a Private Sector Housing Officer. Your day-to-day role will see you working within the Private Sector Housing team on a full time basis dealing with housing standards, complaints and HMO Licensing.
You will need to have recent experience working as a Senior Private Sector Housing Officer within a local authority, and have up to date housing legislation knowledge.
As a member of the Private Sector Housing Enforcement Team you will apply and enforce legislation relevant to the private residential sector for housing deficiencies, residential pollution and the Houses in Multiple Occupation licensing scheme.
The post holder is responsible for making decisions on how to proceed with enforcement cases using their professional judgement to reach a justifiable and robust decision, and oversee the casework of Prublic Protection officers.
Undertake inspections to deliver the mandatory licensing scheme for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) and ensure all safety standards for fire precautions and locally adopted amenity standards are maintained.
Investigate complaints from the private rented sector regarding housing conditions and enforce where necessary using the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).
Ensure letting agents and landlords compliance with the redress Scheme
About the Job
• To lead on compliance, enforcement and project work within the Public Protection Service to ensure the delivery of a high quality customer focused specialist enforcement service within a performance management regime.
• To be the technical lead on ( Private Sector Housing & Public Health) within the Public Protection Service as defined by your Line Manager.
• To support the Public Protection Management Team to ensure the service operates in an effective, efficient, compliant and collaborative manner creating positive outcomes and continual service improvement.
• To ensure robust project management for the service.
1. Degree, diploma or relevant academic or professional qualification (or equivalent) essential.
2. Membership of a relevant professional organisation desired.
3. Project Management qualification desired.
1. Required to work outside of core hours on a pre-arranged basis.
2. Ability to work individually and as part of a team.
3. Current driving license.
1. Experience of successfully managing a multi-disciplined enforcement work programmes.
2. People management.
3. Experience of successfully working within varied Public Protection Services.
4. Experience of effectively working with members, key stakeholders and clients such as members, residents, external agencies, business partners and the private sector.
5. A high level of achievement in meeting statutory duties, attaining legal compliance and enforcement work through to successful prosecution.
6. Experience of leading the delivery of projects from inception to completion.
7. Experience of the use of ICT, the MS Windows operating system, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, MS Powerpoint, GIS, Instant Messages, App’s and tools for mobile working.
8. Experience of ordering products and equipment to support own work, ensuring appropriate records are kept for audit purposes.
9. Experience of working through the democratic process including reporting to committees, forums and strategic groups.
10. Experience in supporting the implementation and maintenance of quality management systems.
11. Experience of cross authority working.
12. Experience of supporting change and transformation.
The London Borough of Havering is a Disability Confident employer. Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
Priority consideration on all advertised roles will be given to London Borough of Havering Redeployees.
The London Borough of Havering is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please be aware that a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
In addition, the Authority reserves the right to request employees undertake a basic disclosure check (Disclosure Scotland) where required for the role this includes anyone who has access to (or information obtained directly from) a government database, or has a GCSX account. These posts will be required to have a Basic Disclosure Scotland check as per the requirements of BPSS (Baseline Personnel Security Standards).
Should you require any help or advice with your online application, please contact the Recruitment Help Desk on: 01708 432770
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Sasha Taylor on 01708 433479
The closing date for the receipt of applications is 5th November 2020 however interest in this job may be high and we therefore reserve the right to close the vacancy early.
You will be notified if your application has been successful. Interviews are scheduled for 13th November 2020
Should you require any help or advice with your online application, please contact the Recruitment Helpdesk on 01708 432770