Environmental Health Officer
Environmental Health Officer
We currently have an exciting opportunity available for an experienced Environmental Health Officer to join our team based in Barnsley. You will be working on a full time, permanent basis and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of £32,234 - £38,890 (Career Graded).
Regulatory Services at Barnsley protect the health, safety and well-being of those who live, work in and visit the borough, enabling local businesses to comply with their regulatory responsibilities.
The Environmental Health Officer role:
Your role within the Pollution Control team will be primarily to investigate commercial noise and air pollution complaints, providing Planning and Licensing consultation and ensuring Industrial Process Permitting compliance. Alongside the Pollution Control work, you will assist with Investigation into Covid 19 compliance within businesses within Barnsley, to support our contact tracing team.
You will make a significant contribution to the delivery of Regulatory Services by a range of interventions including premises and business inspections, incident investigations and leading appropriate follow up action to include the use of formal enforcement procedures such as statutory notices and the attendance at court as a witness.
Responsibilities of this role include:
- Undertake a full range of professional duties within one or more of the teams within the Service with minimal supervision, contributing to the delivery of the business and operational unit plans.
- Undertake enforcement action and investigate complaints and requests for service, undertaking proactive monitoring and assessment of non-compliance to relevant standards and legislation in accordance with the targets laid down in operational unit plans and as directed by a Service Manager.
- To carry out a range of complex regulatory services activities including inspections, incident notifications, issuing permits or approvals, complaint investigations, sampling and monitoring etc. and to undertake follow up action in the form of correspondence, statutory notices and enforcement action including preparing cases for legal proceedings.
- To provide guidance and supervision to colleagues within the service on Regulatory Services functions.
- Prepare reports, correspondence and notices, and serve formal notices (where authorised to do so), in relation to complaints, investigations and visits.
- Provide professional advice, guidance and information to businesses, members of the public and external agencies and acting as an expert Council witness at Court Hearings, Tribunals, Public Inquiries etc.
- Maintain accurate, up to date, detailed records of actions taken using IT equipment where required.
- Operate and explain how to use complex specialist equipment to customers, where necessary transporting/removing it from the site, setting it up, ensuring it is maintained in good working order.
Skills and experience we’re looking for in our Environmental Health Officer:
- Level 6 Degree in Environmental Health and Certificate of Registration with the Environmental Health Registration Board.
- A recognised qualification relevant to the work of the team, will unlock higher level positions dependent on your relevant professional experience.
- Commitment to continued professional development.
- Knowledge of regulatory services and pollution control legislation is essential.
- Previous relevant experience including using a range of computer applications and ICT including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentation software, internet and e-mail.
- Practical experience of dealing with members of the public and businesses, with a level of competence required to achieve compliance with legislation.
- Logical, methodical, accurate and flexible approach to work.
- Ability to manage a challenging work load, working effectively on your own, using your own initiative as well as part of a team.
Here at Barnsley, we live and work by four important values: honesty, teamwork, excellent service, and taking pride in what we do. As part of our team, you can be sure we’ll do all we can to support you in being truly excellent. You see, we prioritise learning and enabling you to achieve your potential.
Closing date: Friday 16th October 2020