Environmental Health Officer - Commercial Team
Environmental Health Officer
(Ref: 000700 & 001194)
Environmental Services – Commercial Team
Permanent, full-time (37 hours per week)
Salary in range £30,451 - £33,782 plus Market Supplement. Total remuneration package (including market supplement) £34,728. Post also attracts an Essential Car User Allowance.
Flexible working patterns considered
Do you want to help support the business community, visitors and residents to provide healthy workplaces and safe food?
We are looking for energetic officers to complement our busy team in a dynamic seaside resort, to encourage and support local businesses to grow and thrive throughout the year.
The Commercial Team:
The Commercial Team is a small group of dedicated and experienced officers whom deal with wide ranging issues linked to a tourism and off-shore based economy. The team supports all aspects of the community to provide safe food for visitors and residents of the Borough. The Council is a forward thinking and dynamic organisation, which is proud to deliver high-quality, customer focussed services. We never standstill and are always looking at new and effective ways of working both internally and with our partner agencies.
What we want from you:
The ability to:
- Carry out food hygiene inspections and investigations into food complaints
- Deal with workplace health and safety issues, carrying out proactive project work which you will be asked to design and develop
- Provide food hygiene training, working closely with our Inward Investment team to promote and develop training and business support across the Borough
- Undertake ship sanitation visits and provide advice and guidance to Great Yarmouth Port
- Inspect and support licensed animal premises, including zoos, private collections as well as breeding and boarding establishments
- Be responsible for your workload, producing reports, notices and prosecution files as and when required.
- Provide technical advice and guidance to the team, local businesses and Councillors on a range of subjects including food safety and infectious diseases.
- Identify new income generating work and efficiency savings for the team and Environmental Services as a whole.
What you need to work with us:
- Environmental Health Degree/Diploma or equivalent, registered with the Environmental Health Officers Board/ Chartered Practitioner Programme or demonstration of high-level case history, including customer liaison and enforcement history using relative legislation. A full driving licence is essential.
- Ability to lead investigations and take appropriate action, sign off legal notices, summonses, appear as a witness in legal proceedings and provide specialist advice to team members and political stakeholders.
- Have a thorough knowledge of current legislation, relative guidance, case law and corporate policy.
- Demonstrable experience of problem-solving, decision-making and excellent communication skills with an ability to negotiate and influence others to achieve desired outcomes.
What we can give you:
Our package includes:
- 24 days holiday increasing to 28 days after 5 years service and 32 days after 15 years service, plus bank holidays (pro-rata for part time employees), plus 2 days additional leave at Christmas
- Opportunity to work your hours flexibly to improve your work life balance (where operationally possible)
- Generous employer pension contributions with the option to make additional voluntary contributions through the local government pension scheme
- Regular reviews with your line manager, with the opportunity to build a personal development plan and undertake training
- Access to wellbeing services, staff retail discount scheme and cycle to work scheme
For further information about the role please contact Grizelle Britton Commercial Team Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date 29th September 2020
Interviews w/c 5th October 2020