Principal Air Quality Projects Officer
Principal Air Quality Projects Officer
£40,491 - £47,274
Fixed Term Contract, 36 hours per week
Southwark is an ambitious, progressive, unitary South London Borough, with a ‘can do’ attitude and enviable reputation. We are passionate and forward-thinking and committed to our ‘Fairer Future for All’ promises that ensure that our residents and businesses are central to everything we do.
Southwark has wide variety of cultural and economic communities, with over 120 languages spoken. As an inner London borough we have all the vibrancy, variety and challenge you would anticipate.
Southwark Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This role is a 2 year fixed term, full time, Air Quality Projects Officer in the Environmental Protection Team which is within the Environmental Health & Trading Standards Unit of Regulatory Services.
Southwark is a Cleaner Air Borough and is strongly politically committed to improving air quality in London.
The key duties and responsibilities of the role
You will play a key role in maintaining and advancing Southwark’s status as leading London authority on air quality, by project managing and leading on high profile, innovative air quality projects on behalf of the service.
You will have direct responsibility for a number of air quality improvement projects, with a total budget of over £1 million, and will provide assistance on further projects.
The projects currently include;
- Schools air quality audits
- An annual air quality awareness media campaign
- Leasing zero emission vehicles
- Promoting a low emission logistics consolidation centre
- Car free days
- An audit of council owned combustion plant
- An area Low Emission Neighbourhood and a Business Low Emission Neighbourhood
- NRMM enforcement
- Street sweeping methods impact on re-suspended road dust, and
- Climate emergency projects
You will also identify further potential air quality improvement projects, help deliver the borough’s Air Quality Action Plan and identify new sources of funding and bid for them.
You will attend, organise and be a member of various project teams and also attend professional and academic pan-London forums .
You will maintain and update your knowledge of air quality issues through continuing professional development.
You will take a lead role in managing air quality monitoring contracts.
The experience & skills required, and expectations of the service for this role are:
- You will be an experienced, competent and professional environmental or air quality expert.
- You will have a good understanding of air pollution issues, atmospheric chemistry and the local authority regulatory framework for air quality management.
- You will have proven project and/or contract management experience.
- You will be thorough, well organised, comfortable organising and chairing meetings and have good report writing skills.
- You will have excellent presentation skills and be able to present in a wide variety of formats to project boards, stakeholder groups, the public, external bodies, senior officers and councillors.
- You will be able to travel to site and be sufficiently able bodied to climb a ladder.
- You will have excellent data recording skills and be able to manipulate Excel spreadsheets.
- You will have good numeracy skills and be able to calculate bias adjustments.
Requirements for the role:
- Qualifications: A graduate degree, or equivalent qualification, in a relevant subject
- Environmental or air quality management experience
- Standard hours of work are 36 hours/week Monday – Friday, however, some evening and weekend working may be occasionally required
- Initially a 2-year fixed term contract
Additional salary details
2 Year Fixed Term Contract
If you are interested in applying for this role, please complete the application form and detail your suitability for the role, by using the Personal Specification to highlight your skills.
Closing date: 5 October 2020.
Interview and report writing assessment: 14 October 2020.
To apply please click here https://www.jobs.southwark.gov.uk/jobs/principal-air-quality-projects-officer-sc03838
(COVID-19) - information for job applicants Southwark Council are following the most recent Government guidelines surrounding Corona virus. During this period, we still look forward to receiving your application and if successful, we will be conducting interviews remotely via video link. Details will be confirmed via email, if successful.