Environmental Health Officer – Food and Safety Team
Environmental Health Officer
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a busy and forward-looking food and safety team. We work with a wide range of businesses from town centre take-aways to Michelin restaurants, from rural artisan producers to approved manufacturers.
We are one of the highest performing authorities in the UK, consistently achieving our objectives and targets in relation to national food inspection targets, customer satisfaction and enforcement activity. We also take advantage of technology such as totally paperless mobile and digital ways of working including the use of tablets for inspections and developing our social media and communications content.
You will be enthusiastic, dedicated, have a strong customer service ethos and be driven to achieve targets. You’ll also need to be able to work independently and have robust self-discipline with good time management skills as this role offers a significant amount of freedom in how you deliver your workload due to our annualised hours scheme, remote working policies and use of digital inspection tools.
As well as one of the most flexible working environments in local government we ensure that everyone in the team has opportunities to develop their career and professional skills and meet any CPD needs.
You’ll be responsible for undertaking the full range of duties carried out by the food and safety team within a geographical area as well as working as part of the team to ensure all premises are inspected as required and service requests are dealt with according to the team’s service standards.
While the ideal candidate will be an EHRB registered Environmental Health Practitioner with experience in food and health and safety inspection and enforcement we will consider applications from those who are imminently about to achieve EHRB registration however those officers would start on a salary Grade 4 (£25,372 - £29,687) rising to Grade 6 upon registration.
Position: Environmental Health Officer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary: £35,077 - £39,983 per annum, Grade 6
Benefits: A basic 24 day’s annual leave per annum, rising to 29 days after five years of local government service. You also have all the bank holidays to look forward to and time off between Christmas and New Year. Flexible working and annualised hours; pension scheme; Cycle scheme; Various schemes to keep you healthy.
- Undertake food hygiene and health and safety interventions in all risk categories and types of premises
- Investigate food complaints and complaints relating to food premises
- Investigate complaints relating to health and safety, including reportable accidents and dangerous occurrences
- Participation in the food sampling programme
- Investigate cases of food poisoning and other infectious diseases
- Assist in the development of primary authority partnerships
- Deal with applications for skin piercing licences
- Arrange national assistance burials
- Assist with the delivery of training courses.
- Help organise and participate in public health promotional campaigns
- Carry out duties in relation to the smoke-free requirements
- Assist with the development of operational policies and procedures for the food and safety team
- Undertake enforcement action as appropriate and in line with the councils’ enforcement policy
- Research, write and present detailed reports as required
- Participate in the out of hours service and work unsocial hours on occasion
- Experience of inspecting premises requiring in depth knowledge of legislation
- Experience of investigating complaints and service requests
- Comply with the competency requirements for Authorised Officers as detailed in the Food Law Code of Practice
- Ability to progress projects and enforcement cases in a timely manner
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Competent user of Microsoft Office, e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint
Your essential qualifications
- Registration with the Environmental Health Registration Board
- Full driving licence
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health accredited degree in Environmental Health
- Voting or Graduate Membership of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
If you have the following experience or qualifications – it’s a bonus:
- Membership of professional body such as CIEH
- Wide range of enforcement experience and the investigation of complex cases
- Experience of report writing and presenting reports in various forums