Principal GIS Data Analyst
Our client in East London is looking for a Principal GIS Data Analyst to join its team on a contract initially until the end of April 2020.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- To partake in the delivery of the Division’s GIS function in accordance with the Division’s business requirements and in particular the mobilisation of a new integrated waste management service and its future development, in conjunction with corporate ICT services and in line with the Council’s Geographic Information Framework.
- To provide spatial and data analysis to support the work of the Operational Services team including Clean and Green teams and related services and policy in aligning service delivery with the Local Development Framework, Council master-planning, Housing and other strategic policy planning initiatives.
- To develop and support GIS and other Land and Property based applications. Provide expert advice and information regarding GIS and data analysis.
- To perform duties related to the Council’s Ordnance Survey Liaison obligation under the national Mapping Service Agreement.
- To liaise with the Property and GIS Data Team Leader and provide support where necessary.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To ensure the continued development of the Division’s GIS and spatial data analysis capabilities, identifying opportunities for GIS development and ensuring improvement to the performance of the Division’s business applications through the delivery of efficiencies and savings.
2. Co-ordinate and undertake GIS and data analysis components of projects initiated within and aligned with Operational Services and particularly within the Clean and Green teams and participate in joint projects with other services and external agencies.
· Data Collation, review, capture and analysis
· Spatial Analysis
· Map licensing and production
· Technical advice and guidance
3. To prepare and implement the Operational Services’ GIS Work Programme in liaison with the Property and GIS Data Manager.
4. Support and develop analysis tools to allow quick and structured access to Land and Property based data in both textual and geographical formats.
5. Provide specialist advice on all technical issues relating to the work of the team, particularly on the analysis of GIS and Land and Property based information and be responsible for ensuring that such advice is given in accordance with the best professional standards.
6. Ensure all data provided by the Mapping Service Agreement is available to all Council staff, translated into suitable formats and properly maintained within Council’s computer systems (e.g. Ordnance Survey and aerial photography data).
7. Representing the Council on regional and national Mapping Service/ Ordnance Survey meetings.
8. Agree contracts and pricing for procured GIS data with suppliers of mapping and allied data (i.e. aerial photography).
- Assist in the maintenance of the Division’s GIS functions including data maintenance and capture, management analysis and digital mapping and technical support.
- To assist in the day to day running of data analysis and Land and Property based GIS functions including:
- Production of bespoke analysis of geographic based data Administering geographic based data located on the Directorate server Oversee and undertake the capturing, collation, formatting and analysis of geographic information Map production Support knowledge and learning of the Division’s main GIS and database components Assist in the implementation of system software packages Prepare procedures and guidance notes based on the Council’s Geographic Information Framework
- To represent the Council for the Mapping Service Agreement including policing and providing advice on the copyright of digital information held by the Council, particularly regarding Ordnance Survey. Ensuring a suitable audit trail is in place for third party use of data.
- Requesting and obtain data from Ordnance Survey and/or mapping service providers.
- Advise the GIS User community on mapping data availability and liaise on the distribution of data within the Division.
Knowledge and experience
- Detailed knowledge of the use and application of GIS.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with customising GIS applications.
- Detailed knowledge of the National Address Gazetteer and its associated BS7666 standard.
- Detailed knowledge of developing dynamic web interfaces from back-end databases. Knowledge of and familiarity with Project Management methodologies
- Substantial and proven professional experience of working with geographic information in a corporate environment. Substantial and proven experience of the LLPG and its applications. Experience of using database applications to format, extract and manipulate data. Experience of using the ACOLAID system. Experience of managing projects and working under pressure to meet targets / deadlines. Experience of working in the public sector.
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org