Noise and Nuisance Officer
Our client in Yorkshire is recruiting for a Noise and Nuisance Officer
Main purpose of post
• To ensure that the impact from noise and nuisance, on residents and others, is controlled using appropriate enforcement powers, negotiation and practical knowledge within a 24 hour service operation.
Summary of main duties
• To respond to service requests relating primarily to noise and nuisance, but on occasions to pollution, pests, housing defects, health and safety matters, food hygiene, outbreaks of food poisoning, cases of infectious disease, hazardous waste and licensing matters.
• To serve and enforce notices under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, Control of Pollution Act 1974 and other public health legislation to abate noise and nuisance.
• To follow up and make re-visits where informal or formal action has been taken, checking works in progress, ensuring that the necessary works, etc. have been properly executed in accordance with good practice. To identify those cases where notices have not been complied with.
• To attend court to act as a witness in litigation between the Council and others as and when required.
• To advise and comment on Planning and Licence applications.
• To give advice to the general public and commercial undertakings on
Environmental Health matters relating to premises in the Borough.
• To undertake pro-active projects and initiatives to reduce noise and nuisance in the Borough.
• To keep abreast of appropriate legal and technical developments in noise and nuisance.
• A recognised Degree or Diploma in Environmental Health, or;
• A lesser qualification in Environmental Health (i.e. HND, BTEC, etc), or;
• A specific noise qualification (MSc/ Diploma in Acoustics and Noise
• An understanding of environmental legislation and its enforcement.
Experience/ Knowledge/ Skills
• To have working knowledge of relevant legislation and powers
(i.e. Environmental Protection Act 1990, Control of Pollution Act 1974,
Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993).
• To have experience of investigating noise complaints and taking appropriate follow up action, preferably on a shift work basis.
• To have experience of using relevant legislation and powers, i.e. service of statutory notices, court proceedings, etc.
• Capable of using noise monitoring equipment (e.g. Sound Level Meters, DAT recorders, etc) and sound insulation testing equipment.
To register your interest please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 020 8732 5450.
Apply for Noise and Nuisance Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly