Environmental Health Officer
Buckingham Futures have taken on an exciting opportunity in the East of England for an Environmental Health Officer (Environmental Protection) to participate in the provision of the investigation of Statutory Nuisances and associated Environmental Protection Team functions to start asap initially for 6 months.
KEY SERVICE RELATED ACCOUNTABILITIES
• To investigate complaints relating to statutory nuisance and Environmental Protection areas with occasional public health intervention;
• To manage the installation, collection, analysis and feedback of evidence gathered by using the Environmental Protection Teams sound recording equipment;
• To maintain accurate records of the activities undertaken to address complaints on the Councils complaints database;
• At times the post holder will need to assist colleagues within the Environmental Enforcement side of the team;
• To assist the Environmental Protection Principal Officer to provide a comprehensive Environmental Protection service;
• To work with partner organisations as required achieving the Team’s objectives to improve the environment and increase the detection of and resolution of problems that impact on the environment and public health;
• To assist in creating and refining policies and procedures for the provision of Environmental Protection;
• To compile reports, statements and schedules etc for the consideration of managers and to be used in legal proceedings to enforce legislation within the teams area of responsibility;
• To be able to complete comprehensive prosecution files, witness statements and Interviews under Caution, in line with the Public Protection Departments model prosecution file;
• To attend courts or other such tribunals as a witness for the authority in legal actions relating to the work of the team;
• To investigate complaints made concerning the work of the team and to prepare responses to such complaints;
• To recommend to the Environmental Protection Principal Officer remedial actions to address matters raised by complainants that highlight shortcomings in the initial response;
• To manage any assigned investigations, projects or promotions under the direction of the Principal Officer;
• To contribute to the wider objectives of the Public Protection Department ensuring that performance targets are met and that customer care measures are implemented. The post holder may be required to use his/her expertise to fulfil the training needs of other staff;
• Investigate partnership working and shared service ideas with other neighbouring / partnering boroughs or internal council departments;
• To participate in the drafting of team and departmental plans and contribute to their delivery by efficiently completing the tasks assigned to the post holder;
• Represent the authority at inter-authority liaison groups and at other meetings with professional, business organisations required to further the team’s objectives;
• At the discretion of the Environmental Health and Trading Standards Manager carry out such other duties as are compatible with the grading of this post and the demands of the service;
• To keep up to date with relevant legislation and feedback any changes that impact on Environmental Protection functions to the Principal Officer and other team members.
• A sound understanding of the legal practice and procedures relating to Environmental Protection and public health.
• A working knowledge of the law relating to statutory nuisances.
• Knowledge of Environmental Protection standards
• Knowledge of the regime governing Air Quality.
• Knowledge of the regime governing Contaminated Land.
• Further specialist knowledge of acoustics and its use in the EP intervention area - IOA diploma etc
• Experience of investigating nuisance complaints from industrial, trade, commercial and domestic premises.
• Experience of interpreting and applying complex technical standards and regulations in regard to consultations for Planning and Licensing Applications
• Experience of resolving complaints relating to statutory nuisances and public health.
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for Environmental Health Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly