Housing Enforcement Officer
Our client in East London is recruiting for a Housing Enforcement Officer to start asap, initially till the end of the year to inspect, investigate and advise in relation to the statutory housing enforcement functions and other work areas of the Team.
(1) Responsible for the inspection of residential properties under Housing Health & Safety Rating System to identify and rate hazards in accordance with guidance issued under S9 of the Housing Act 2004. This to include enforcement action specifying appropriate remedial works to remove or reduce hazards and also responsible for the service of Improvement Notices; Prohibition Orders emergency closure and seizure, and Management Orders. Arranging and overseeing emergency prohibition works
(2) Responsible for ensuring that all enforcement documents are correctly drafted and compiled, including Emergency Prohibition, Closure notices.
(3) Responsible for obtaining and preserving evidence to progress cases in accordance with PACE, including photographs, video recordings, seized items and any other articles such as PACE interview tapes and notes.
(4) Responsible for the integrity and preservation of all evidence in accordance with best practice and the maintenance of a secure chain in relation to that evidence.
Responsible for obtaining RIPA authorisation for enforcement activities as necessary and to observe compliance with enforcement protocols.
(5) Responsible for preparing cases for prosecution and appeals and presenting evidence in Court and the Residential Property Tribunal. Also responsible for assisting the solicitor to the Council and any other legal advisor, such as Counsel or Barrister.
(6) Responsible for inspecting residential properties for use in the Rent Guarantee Scheme to determine their suitability.
7) Responsible for identification and inspection of HMO’s and to ensure management standards are maintained and improved.
8) Liaise with Herts Fire & Rescue Service to determine work needed to deal with fire hazards in HMO’s and other residential properties.
(9) Responsible for determining if an HMO requires to be mandatorily licensed and issuing such licences.
(10) Responsible for preparing cases for prosecution for failure to licence an HMO or breach of licence conditions and present evidence in Court and the Residential Property Tribunal.
Certificate of Competency in HHSRS and either BTEC in Housing Studies or BSc and enforcement experience in Environmental Health
Additional qualification relevant to the specialist area of housing or BTEC in Environmental Health Studies and at least two years’ experience in an Environmental Health Department.
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org