Smoke Free Technical Officer
Buckingham Futures have an exciting opportunity in East London for a Smoke Free Technical Officer to enforce the Smoke Free legislation and to promote the cessation of use Tobacco products and to carry out surveys and studies on the use and sale of Tobacco products.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- To use statutory powers to enforce the Smoke Free legislation. Ensuring all work is undertaken in accordance with statutory requirements, the Council’ policies and procedures, the highest professional practice and to the benefit of residents of the Borough.
- Provide technical advice on all issues relating to Smoke Free work and be responsible for ensuring that such advice is given in accordance with the best professional standards, where appropriate assuming and exercising delegated statutory authority.
- Ensure compliance with current legislation making decisions on applications or dealing with issues as they arise, or within prescribed time scales, and using enforcement and other legal measures as necessary.
- Promote the work and services of the Directorate and Section liaising with other services within the Council, external bodies and statutory authorities including the provision of information, advice, guidance and assistance to residents of the Borough and businesses.
- To have full knowledge to undertake the role of an authorised Officer under the Health Act 2006. Serving fixed penalty notices, preparing prosecutions, giving advice and undertaking presentations on issues relating to smoke free, tobacco control, cessation of the use of products and sales of Tobacco products.
- Exercise delegated authority where authorised to act as an authorised Officer on behalf of the Council under the appropriate legislative provisions and ensure statutory responsibilities are properly and effectively discharged, on issues of Environmental Health Commercial Team – Smoke Free.
- To undertake programmed and complaint inspections, surveys and investigations under all the relevant Environmental Health Legislation, including visiting sites alone taking necessary action, such visits will involve attending locations and encountering situations which may involve personal risk.
- Provide technical advice and guidance on specific service area to residents, consumers, traders and businesses etc. in relation to Tobacco Control.
- Promote public and business education by devising and organising talks, presentations, displays, exhibitions to the public, schools, trade associations and other groups as necessary.
- Responsible for the proper storage, care, calibration of specialist and routine equipment, which may be necessary for the carrying out of the post.
- Carry a caseload prioritising and programming work and making day to day decisions on cases as required.
- Carry out and assist in the enforcement and legal process functions in commercial premises, including the prosecution and the execution of warrants necessitating the forced entry to premises.
- Prepare case reports and make recommendations for legal proceedings and provide briefings for legal representatives as necessary on cases.
- Produce witness statements, attend court and other legal forums and act as an expert witness in Environmental Health issues on behalf of the Council.
- Participate in the preparation of policies, procedures and guidance notes and the development of quality assurance and system manuals on good practice.
- To prepare correspondence and reports as necessary and be a representative of the Council at, Forums, Multi-disciplinary working groups etc.
- Initiate and carry out enforcement and legal process functions in commercial premises, including the prosecution, seizure or detention of goods, issuing notices, application for and the execution of warrants necessitating the forced entry to premises.
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email@example.com