Health and Safety Specialist
Buckingham Futures have taken on an exciting position for a Health and Safety Specialist in West London to contribute to the effective co-ordination of health and safety initiatives between clients, partner agencies and the rest of the Council to start asap initially til the end of 2018.
- To support the Corporate Health and Safety Manager with administrative tasks, systems management and oversight of health and safety reporting as may be required
To undertake and complete satisfactorily the tasks described in the principal accountabilities and responsibilities whilst maintaining high standards of internal and external customer satisfaction. To support managers and staff members in understanding and fulfilling their responsibilities for health and safety in completing risk assessments and ensuring legal compliance with for example, but not limited to, COSHH, manual handling, lone working, PPE. To deliver learning and development programmes, including workshops and tool-box talks, to ensure effective health and safety systems and practice. Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Plan the implementation of programmes of action to address priorities for health and safety improvements where identified or required. Programmes will include creative and innovative ways of promoting positive H&S action.
Provide sound and timely professional, legal and technical advice and assistance to ensure effective health and safety management systems, incorporating risk assessment are established and maintained Monitor the management of health and safety risks and fulfilment of relevant legal duties across the council Establish and maintain a record-keeping system and initiate necessary follow-up action to meet the objectives set out in 3. above Identify and prioritise Health and Safety learning and development needs across the council as appropriate. Organise and/or deliver development programmes for managers and staff to meet identified needs. Support managers in conjunction with Property Services to ensure safe environments and practice for staff, clients, and visitors and to effectively manage contractors at remote sites Supervision of officers undertaking health and safety tasks who may be officers, contractors or administrators. Acting on behalf of the Chief Executive to stop work if it contravenes agreed standards and presents a serious and imminent risk of injury. Liaise closely with the Health and Safety Manager to ensure effective co-ordination of work and professional development and effective use of resources Co-ordinate, advise and enable departmental and other committees to become an effective force for health & safety improvement To participate in the Department’s performance management scheme and work to achieve the agreed outcomes such as professional development To ensure that all duties carried out meet Corporate standards To provide health and safety advice and support to each of the council departments. This will be achieved on a rotational basis and will also be required during staff absences in order to maintain service delivery Safeguarding is everyone's responsibility and all employees are required to act in such a way that at all times safeguards the health and well-being of children and vulnerable adults. Carry out duties with due regard to the Council’s Customer Care, Equal Opportunities, Information Governance, Data Protection and Health and Safety policies and procedures. Undertake any other duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of this post. Knowledge and Qualifications:
- To hold the NEBOSH diploma or certificate, or NCRQ diploma or certificate in applied health and safety, or equivalent level qualification.
- To hold current CMIOSH membership or be GradIOSH working towards chartered membership (note – may be required to evidence CPD activity), or hold equivalent professional memberships in IIRSM. Equivalent membership of BIFM together with relevant health and safety experience will also be considered.
- A comprehensive and working understanding of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and associated regulatory frameworks
- Good working understanding of the local government system in England, with particular awareness of the health and safety risks and legal duties referred to above
- Enhanced knowledge of best practice in managing health and safety risks which are prominent in the Council’s profile
- Significant experience in the field of occupational safety and health in a large, complex organisation and in particular in health and safety management systems, risk assessment and controls, compliance, monitoring, investigation and recording, workplace hazards (including fire safety, musculoskeletal, electrical, chemical, biological, physical and psychological) and control measures.
- Experience of establishing and implementing action plans to ensure effective health and safety management across complex services
- Experience of working with senior officers,managers, staff and contractors to improve health and safety management practice
- Experience of developing & delivering effective learning / training activities for a range of staff groups
- Experience of writing policy and guidance documents
- Experience of analysing data and producing management information reports to senior management teams
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for Health and Safety Specialist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly