Team Leader Community Protection (Regulation)
Team Leader Community Protection (Regulation)
Service: Community Protection (Regulation)
Location: Barnet House
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced Professional to join our busy team supporting the Regulatory Services Management Team in the delivery of Community Protection functions, specifically leading on one or more of the following areas; Trading Standards, licensing, anti-social behaviour, street trading and noise nuisance functions. This involves overseeing and coordinating key resources including up to 8 professional and technical staff, and the delivery of the work programmes.
Applicants must possess a thorough knowledge of the relevant legislation and have practical experience in this area. The successful candidate will provide specialist advice and support to ensure the delivery of a consistently high quality and cost-effective service that meets performance targets.
The successful candidate will support the Group Manager in the day to day running of a team of Trading Standards and Noise Nuisance officers dealing reactively with the full range of trading standards and noise nuisance service requests. Officers are also expected to undertake proactive work as necessary.
To apply for this post you must hold a relevant qualification and proven relevant trading standards or environmental health experience
• Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy
• Represent the council and promote the Regulatory Services objectives in a wide range of forums
• Influence the shape and direction of the council’s Regulatory Services work.
• Line manage a team providing professional and technical Regulatory Services, undertaking regular one-to-one meetings with staff as appropriate
• Manage effectively to ensure high quality, professional resource utilisation and service delivery standards across the service area
• To be the training officer for the team.
Service Area Responsibilities and accountabilities
• Provide specialist Regulatory Services advice within the Authority as required
• Ensure a timely and efficient service within the service area allocated
• Originate reports and prepare and evaluate statistical and other information
• Undertake investigations of service requests, contraventions of legislation, appeals, licensing requirements, risk or other circumstances within the general purview of the Section. Inspect or visit vehicles, stalls, plant or equipment.
• Undertake the enforcement of legislation and exercise powers as required
• Ensure the Group Manager is kept fully informed on any aspect of work which is controversial, political, strategic, financial or otherwise of a sensitive or highly complex nature.
• Prepare and deliver publicity campaigns and educational and preventative work, as required
• Provide evidence at legal proceedings and other quasi-judicial hearings
• Participate in the emergency standby system as required (qualified Environmental Health Officers only)
• Develop changes in procedures, systems and operational strategies to maintain efficiency and effectiveness
• Deputise as required for the Group Manager
• Provide cover arrangements in the absence of other Team Leaders
• Prepare committee reports and present reports to Members at Committee when required.
• Lead and coordinate on Team input into Service area feeding into corporate reporting e.g. corporate plan updates
• Deliver the team’s business plan and work programme plan
• Monitor and report on Team performance against internal and external performance indicators.
• Work with a degree of flexibility required to perform work not specifically referred to above although falling within scope of the post at the appropriate grade
Essential qualifications required
Type - Professional qualifications/memberships
Level required - Fully qualified, EHRB registered and eligible for Voting Membership of the CIEH or
Fully qualified Trading Standards Officer with the DCATS (including the Weights and Measures module) or DTS or equivalent Licensing qualification
Role specific - Fully qualified and experienced Environmental Health/Trading Standards/Licensing Officer, with a minimum of three years post qualification experience.
Project management - Ability to progress projects in a timely manner in accordance with Corporate Guidelines.
Performance management - Ability to conduct 1:1 case load management and to be able to report issues therefrom.
Communications and consultation - Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills. Experience of a variety of effective communications techniques. Political awareness and the ability to escalate issues to Senior Managers to enable them to properly inform elected Members
IT skills - Competent user of Microsoft Office specifically Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook