Housing Standards Officer
Our client in Surrey is recruiting for a Housing Standards Officer to help improve housing standards for people living in private sector accommodation, by giving advice, conducting detailed inspections, and taking appropriate enforcement action using a wide range of relevant legislation (including the operation and enforcement of property licensing schemes).
- Investigating service requests regarding housing conditions and working to improve accommodation.
- Inspecting private sector housing (including houses in multiple occupation) and securing their compliance with statutory requirements.
- Inspecting licensed properties for compliance with the Council's standards and licensing conditions, and taking appropriate action on unlicensed properties.
- Providing information and advice on housing standards matters to landlords and tenants as appropriate.
- Preparing and serving letters and legal notices.
- Preparing witness statements and giving evidence in legal proceedings and Tribunals.
- Liaising and consulting with statutory partners as appropriate.
- Offering advice, guidance and assistance for the repair and improvement of housing through the Council’s Housing Assistance Policy.
- Participating with activities to promote the services offered by the Council, including (but not limited to) staff and student training, and landlord forums.
- Keeping informed in respect of new legislation affecting the work of the team, including liaison with other departments and outside organisations on matters of mutual concern.
- Working collaboratively with other officers to deliver an excellent level of service.
- Delivering a service compliant with current legislation and regulations (including legislation on equalities, health and safety, and safeguarding), accepted professional standards, the Council's policies and procedures.
- Degree level qualification (or equivalent) in environmental health, building surveying or other building related subject.
- Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) assessment certification.
- Requirements Proven and demonstrable experience in building inspection/surveying.
- Knowledge and experience of dealing with legislation and enforcement procedures relating to housing conditions.
- Practical understanding of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System as a mechanism for assessing housing conditions.
- Practical understanding of the principles of licensing of the private rented sector (including HMO licensing).
- Practical understanding of the principles of fire safety in private rented accommodation.
- Proven and demonstrable experience of managing complex cases to a successful conclusion within time constraints.
- Knowledge and experience of undertaking HHSRS assessments to improve private sector housing.
- Knowledge and experience of enforcing the wide range of legislation governing private sector housing standards.
- Knowledge and experience of drafting legal notices to secure improvements in the private rented sector.
- Knowledge and experience of providing tenancy relations advice to private sector tenants and landlords.
- Knowledge and experience of grants for the repair, improvement and/or adaptation of housing and working with many different groups including contractors and members of the public.
- Knowledge and experience of the operation of mandatory and discretionary licensing schemes in the private rented sector.
- Experience of preparing and giving evidence and representing the Council in prosecution proceedings and at Tribunals.
- Experience of instigating works in default and prosecution proceedings in respect of private rented accommodation.
The role will be offered for a minimum of 3 months and the rate on offer is negotiable.
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email email@example.com