Senior Health and Safety Officer
Buckingham Futures have an excellent opportunity for a Senior Health and Safety officer in North London to provide professional, high level, strategic and proactive health and safety leadership, support, advice and guidance to senior management, line management, staff, Councillors and schools to ensure legal compliance, continual health and safety improvement, health and safety assurance and a positive health and safety culture.
- To ensure the council meets its legal, moral and financial health, safety and wellbeing responsibilities.
- Review and monitor health and safety risks and develop appropriate management strategies, procedures, systems and plans to eliminate, reduce or control such risks.
- Identify areas for health and safety improvement and make practical, proportionate, cost effective solutions and simplify wherever possible.
- Investigate serious accidents, incidents and complaints and act as competent senior point of contact for external enforcing authorities.
- Develop and maximise health, safety and well-being culture.
- Forward thinking and develops SMART actions plans, solutions and strategies to demonstrate legal compliance and control.
- Manage a small team of health and safety advisors with support from local service area health and safety coordinators.
- Works corporately and collaboratively to lead, develop and support strategies, projects and solutions, which contribute to these service and corporate objectives.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with diverse teams across the council
- Reviews and prioritises health, safety and well-being risks within the council and develops practical, pragmatic and proportionate solutions.
- Monitors performance and best practice to ensure council is meeting its obligations and protecting the health, safety and well-being of its employees and service users.
- Provides competent advice and management information to Chief Executive and CLT on health and safety performance and compliance.
- Reviews existing and upcoming legislation to ensure compliance and control of activities and services.
- Consulting and networking with stakeholders, including trade unions, to develop strategic documents and policies with a can do solutions based approach.
- Establishment and attendance at relevant strategic and functional health and safety committees.
- Implementing strategies operationally through first line managers, agents and partners.
- Procuring value for money health and safety products and services.
- Leading by modelling appropriate behaviours and setting clear objectives and outcomes.
- Allocating resources within health and safety team and assessing the impact of those resources.
- Investigates health and safety accidents, incidents, complaints and non-compliances and provides appropriate corrective and preventative actions.
- Setting up and leading cross organisational/functional projects and initiatives – including personal, property safety and staff well-being.
- Building and maintaining strong and mutually beneficial relationships with Council members, partners, service providers and customers.
- Promoting equality and cohesion in the delivery of services and employment relationships.
- Leads by example in developing a positive health and safety culture.
Technical knowledge and qualifications
- Health and Safety Degree, Diploma or equivalent with CMIOSH status.
- Demonstrable continual professional development.
- Health and Safety Senior Management experience in a similar environment.
- Experience of health, safety and environmental management systems (eg OHSAS18001).
- Excellent problem solving and project management skills.
- Working to tight deadlines.
- IT literate (word, powerpoint & exel)
Planning and organising work
- Demonstrable effective personal time management to meet priorities without significant direction.
- Effective management of competing priorities and complex workload at senior level.
- Ability to identify and deliver results against corporate and operational priorities as part of a Management Team.
- Planning capacity and resources.
- Demonstrable ability to manage staff resources to maximise the delivery of a quality, cost-effective public sector service.
- Evidenced skill in setting, monitoring and managing health and safety for a diverse organisation.
- Demonstrable track record of working with internal and external stakeholders to add value or achieve efficiencies.
Influencing and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrable ability to listen to customers, understand and act to meet the needs of customers, individually and collectively.
- Interprets corporate objectives so that they can be delivered by the team.
- Demonstrable ability to communicate appropriately across all levels of the council including, team members, senior management and Councillors.
- History of effective negotiation at a senior level internally and externally.
Using initiative to overcome problems
- Ability to use a range of information to identify and prioritise planned and unplanned issues and implement action plans to address them.
- Evidence of proactively identifying current and emerging health and safety risks, policy and practice opportunities, providing options and analyses to the wider organisation.
- Knowledge and evidence of effective wider health and safety risk management (eg Litigation, Property & Facilities, Security, Reputational).
- Evidence of the effective management of change and delivery of both incremental and transformative improvement.
- Evidence of providing positive leadership in a rapidly changing local authority.
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email email@example.com