Health and Safety Officer (Buildings Compliance)
Our client in Bedfordshire is recruiting for a Health and Safety Officer (Buildings Compliance) to start asap.
Purpose of the role:
- To support the Head of Health and Safety in implementing the Health and Safety at Work, etc Act 1974 and all associated Regulations and Approved Codes of Practice (ACOPs), and providing a comprehensive health and safety service seeking implementation of our clients three year improvement plans.
- To be one of the Council’s, health, safety and welfare specialists, responsible under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations for providing advice, information and technical support on all health, safety and welfare legislation and regulations ensuring that corporate board, executive directors, directors service heads, managers, Trade Union (TU) representatives, employees, contractors, service providers, suppliers and others comply with their duties and responsibilities.
- To be the responsible officer for ensuring legislative and ‘best practice’ compliance with regulations governing property and construction health and safety across the council’s property portfolio.
- Reporting to the Head of Health and Safety within the CHS team, and working closely with the Head of Corporate Facilities, the postholder will develop robust plans/actions for the management of risk in the areas of; asbestos within buildings, control of legionella, access to buildings as defined by the Equality Act, application of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations, gas safety, electrical safety, lift and hoist safety, and all other statutory requirements by health and safety legislation.
- In effectively managing risk in these areas (and other associated compliance issues as they arise) the postholder will be required to be the Council’s ‘expert adviser’ and be aware of changes in legislation/best practice as they affect council property and service provision, making and communicating amendments to practices/procedures as appropriate.
- Provide support to the Corporate Facilities team in reviewing and updating their procedures in relation to property compliance.
- Supporting the Head of Health and Safety as part of a team providing a comprehensive property management function the postholder will need to be self-directing and creative in developing corporate solutions to the management of risk in the operation of property.
- The Health and Safety Adviser (Property Compliance) will be a key part of the team delivering cost-effective property management across the council portfolio of over 600 properties and will be directly accountable to the Head of Health and Safety.
- To complete health and safety compliance audits of the Council’s properties to evaluate statutory compliance and report the findings to the Head of Health and Safety and interested parties e.g. the Health and Safety Board, senior management, departmental safety committees etc. To develop and implement and monitor plans, for corrective action.
- To ensure that statutory compliance documentation is monitored and collated for each property audited and uploaded onto the council’s database. Other information to be collated for each property as required.
- To ensure all statutory compliance documentation is monitored to check actions, remedials and recommendations are completed as appropriate.
- To review working practice in relation to statutory compliance within the Corporate facilities team and to support the team to achieve 100 & statutory compliance for FM in-scope properties.
- To be the Council’s “expert” adviser on the effective management of risk under Health and Safety legislation as it relates to the various aspects of construction, maintenance and property management.
- To be the Council’s “expert” adviser on the accessibility of Council buildings through input into the design, construction and ‘reasonable adjustment’ of the council’s property.
- To communicate effectively at all levels within the Council through the drafting of reports, provision of appropriate and timely technical information, compilation and interpretation of performance and audit data.
- Provide basic property management related health and safety training, e.g. “tool box” talks and give advice at the workplace as necessary.
- To represent/ deputise for the Head of Health and Safety and the Head of Corporate Facilities, on matters related to compliance and property management as required.
- Substantial health and safety experience.
- Substantial auditing experience, specifically of auditing statutory compliance of property.
- Proven understanding of the technical issues underpinning compliance within a range of building and property disciplines and their application to a broad property portfolio, especially related to asbestos, legionella, fire, gas, electricity and lifting equipment.
- Good level of knowledge and understanding of health and safety terminology, legislation and best practice.
- Good knowledge of sources of health and safety information.
- Be able to interpret and apply statutory requirement as applicable.
- Proficient in the development and use of Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.
- Able to develop and deliver bespoke training courses.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good decision making abilities.
- Be able to correctly prioritise health and safety work requests and activities.
- Excellent communicator.
- NEBOSH General H&S Diploma or equivalent NVQ level 6.
- Chartered IOSH membership and able to demonstrate undertaking a CPD programme.
To register your interest please email email@example.com or call us on 020 8732 5450.