Trading Standards Officer
Buckingham Futures have an exciting opportunity in Surrey for an experienced Trading Standards Officer to be based within in business advice team providing advice to businesses on a range of subjects to start asap for a minimum of three months with a possibility of an extension.
Purpose of the role
To undertake duties of a Trading Standards Officer including conducting food standards and weights and measures inspections.
To undertake inspections of premises within the council to ensure they meet legislative requirements across all trading standards areas such as Food law, weights and measures, fair trading etc. In addition, to provide trader advice, where appropriate and assist in enforcement action where deemed appropriate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake inspection based work, to ensure broad compliance with trading standards legislation including W&M's.
- Undertake revisits, take samples and assist other TS officers were appropriate.
- Serve any relevant notices or take enforcement action that may be required. It is not anticipated that the officer will prepare the full prosecution case only supply a statement if needed.
- Deal with difficult traders.
- You will be expected to undertake full legislative research and interpretation to solve problems and advise business operators and perhaps the public.
- Resolution of conflicts with businesses.
- In consultation with the TSM to determine appropriate action where non-compliance is found.
- Produce statements to support further legal action.
- Daily operational issues; including deciding upon appropriate enforcement action for minor breaches.
- Interpretation of legal issues; advice to businesses etc.
- Deciding when to refer serious matters to the Trading Standards Manager.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Statutory professional Trading Standards qualification (Diploma in Trading Standards or DCATS with legal metrology with ability to offer advice on all relevant subject areas) including Legal Metrology, Food Standards, Fair Trading Criminal, Product Safety.
- A Quality Assurance qualification e.g. ISO 9000 Auditor/Lead Auditor course is desirable but not essential.
- Understand the implications of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and Consumer Rights Act 2015.
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email email@example.com