Private Sector Housing Manager
Private Sector Housing Manager
Hours p/w: 37
Full time/ Permanent Position
Salary: £ 48,963 - £ 52,122
Location: Milton Keynes
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you’re looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.
The Private Sector Team provides a critical front line service for Milton Keynes Council. Its key role is to regulate the private sector and ensure that homes in the private sector are safe, warm and free from serious hazards. You will ensure that the council complies with all statutory regulation, legislation and codes of guidance and when necessary take robust enforcement action in accordance with the corporate enforcement policy against those who fail to comply.
The team will coordinate the Council’s response to tackling rogue landlords and will work with statutory agencies and colleagues across the council. You will take ownership of the Council’s approach to private sector housing enforcement setting the agenda and performance targets and providing the first point of contact and response.
You will educate and advise private sector landlords to encourage a culture of compliance ensuring that accommodation in the private sector is safe, warm and free from hazards.
- To lead and develop a team of highly trained professionals to regulate the private rented sector.
- To ensure that private sector housing complaints and disputes are recorded and dealt with in accordance with the Council’s policies and legislative framework.
- To ensure the council complies with the Housing Act 2004, The Housing & Planning Act, Landlord and tenant Act 1985, Housing Act 1985 and all other relevant legislation and guidance.
- To implement Government and Local Authority policy, regulations, procedures and guidance as it affects private sector housing.
- To provide day-to-day advice and guidance to members, council senior management and colleagues and internal and external partners in relation to private sector housing.
- To support the Service Director and the Head of Communities to develop the Council’s strategy, policies and procedures in relation to private sector housing.
- To manage the budget in relation to private sector housing.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Possess a degree level qualification and/or significant relevant experience in a senior leadership role in Private Sector Housing
- In-depth knowledge and experience in the practical application of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System
- Extensive experience in the delivery of operational housing services
- Experience of leading, developing, motivating and managing teams of staff delivering a variety of services
- Experience of developing and delivering strategic plans that deliver corporate objectives
- Experience of implementing and monitoring Performance Management Systems
- Experience of leading and delivering change within a complex organisation
- Significant experience of leading outstanding customer focused services
- Experience of managing complex projects and initiatives
- Experience of effectively setting and managing budgets and resources
- Experience of working with and developing new arrangements with partners including elected members and external agencies
- Experience of reporting to Board /Committees
- Experience of leading multi-disciplinary teams
Milton Keynes Council Benefits
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates
- A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Option to buy more annual leave
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Excellent in-house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management
- Flexibility – with full time, part time and term time working options
- Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
To apply, please fill in our digital application form on the Milton Keynes Council Careers website https://goo.gl/ZeugD1
Closing date for receipt of applications: 02nd February 2018