Environmental Health Officer
Isle of Man Government
Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture
Environment, Safety and Health Directorate
Environmental Health Officer
Salary £35,537 - £41,507 per annum - 37 hours per week
The Department of Environment, Food and Agriculture wishes to appoint an experienced and fully qualified Environmental Health Officer to work in the Environmental Health Unit of the Environment, Safety and Health Directorate.
Set in the Irish Sea between England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales the Isle of Man measures just 33 miles by 13 with a population of 85,888 people. The Island has the oldest continuous parliament in existence in the world today, Tynwald, and its stable political infrastructure makes it an excellent place to live and work. With low unemployment, a temperate climate, a favourable tax regime, the lowest crime rate in the British Isles and the fact you can get from your front door to the countryside or the coast in a matter of minutes, the Island offers residents an excellent quality of life. There is a vibrant cultural scene with local theatre groups, choirs, bands, artists and numerous events, clubs and societies offering a great way to meet new friends. Motorsport features highly on the Island’s calendar with the world famous T.T. and Festival of Motorcycling.
The Isle of Man was welcomed into the UNESCO World Network of Biospheres in March 2016, and became the first entire nation to achieve this accolade. The status recognises that the Isle of Man is a special place for people and nature, with a vibrant community, valued environment and resilient economy.
The Environmental Health Officer will work as part of a team carrying out the statutory functions undertaken by the Department to protect the health, safety and wellbeing of the public. Whilst the post holder will primarily be enforcing legislation related to housing and public health there will be a requirement on occasion to carry out health and safety inspections, food hygiene inspections, including ship sanitary inspections and other environmental health duties commensurate with their qualifications and experience.
Suitable applicants must be:-
- able to promote and secure compliance with environmental and public health standards through inspection, education, investigation and enforcement
- chartered Environmental Health Practitioners or equivalent
- capable of demonstrating relevant experience of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System
- capable of demonstrating relevant experience in housing and general public health matters including multi-occupied dwellings/flats, routine investigation of housing and drainage complaints, domestic and commercial noise, statutory nuisances and dangerous structures
- able to demonstrate knowledge and experience in food hygiene and health and safety
- in possession of a full, valid driving licence and have access to a suitable vehicle
Applicants must be educated to degree level in a Science or Environmental related subject and have a qualification in Environmental Health.
Membership of the CIEH or similar professional body is essential.
Interview expenses and a relocation package of up to £7,000 are available for a candidate recruited from outside the Isle of Man.
If you are interested in this excellent opportunity and have any questions about the role please contact Ian Mansell, Environmental Health Manager on (01624) 685887
For more information about this vacancy including a job description, person specification, and to apply, please visit https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/displayjob.aspx?jobid=6559
Closing date for applications is midnight on the 31st January 2018
More searches like this
- Environmental Protection EH Practitioner jobs in Barrow in Furness
- Food Safety EH Practitioner jobs in Barrow in Furness
- General Environmental Health EH Practitioner jobs in Barrow in Furness
- Health and Safety EH Practitioner jobs in Barrow in Furness
- Housing EH Practitioner jobs in Barrow in Furness