Our client in West London is recruiting for an Enforcement Officer to ensure by way of enforcement or persuasion that the streets and other open land in Borough are kept in a clean condition at all times, and are free from litter, staining, dumped waste, graffiti, and fly-posting.
• To ensure by way of enforcement or persuasion that all highways in the Borough are free from obstructions of all kinds, including unlicensed tables and chairs, builders’ materials, protruding and unsafe scaffolding, unlit skips, abandoned bicycles, A-boards (where policy dictates) etc.
• Monitor and supervise the performance of the Council’s recycling, refuse collection and street cleansing contractor, ensuring that all the requirements of the partnership contract and service specifications are met and the highest practicable standards of performance are attained by refuse and street cleansing operatives.
• To detect and examine waste and litter placed unlawfully on the street or on open land, with a view to identifying the person and/or company responsible and taking appropriate enforcement action against them, and ensuring that the waste and litter is cleared away promptly.
• To detect the incorrect use of waste receptacles, in particular the contamination of recycling receptacles by non-recyclable material, and to ensure the prevention of such behaviour by means of advice, education, or enforcement as appropriate; to promote waste reduction, re-use, and recycling.
• To inspect and report on gullies, litterbins, paladin bins, and skips and to resolve problems encountered.
• To detect graffiti, fly-posting, unauthorised advertising, and sex worker cards with a view to identifying the person and/or company responsible and taking appropriate enforcement action against them, and removing the graffiti, fly-posting, advertising and sex worker cards either personally or by referring the matter to a suitable contractor.
• To detect obstructions on the highway, whether on the footway or on the carriageway (including obstructions on highways maintainable at private expense), with a view to identifying the person responsible and taking appropriate enforcement action against them and ensuring the removal of the obstruction.
• To investigate complaints from Councillors, members of the public, local businesses, visitors, and colleagues about any matter that is detrimental to the street scene, and to provide prompt direct feedback to each complainant about the action taken to solve the complaint.
• To monitor the work of the operatives employed by the Council’s contractor for recycling, household and commercial waste collection, and street cleansing etc, and to give instructions, advice, guidance, and oral warnings as may be appropriate in the event of any shortfall against the standards required in the contract and required by the Council’s or the contractor’s Quality Assurance systems.
• Carry out monthly Health, Safety and Welfare inspections of the demised premises in partnership with contract staff to assess compliance with health and safety standards, making recommendations for improvement and detailing any hazards.
• To detect the unlicensed erection of hoardings or scaffolding around building sites, and to detect the unlicensed depositing of skips or builders’ materials on the highway; and to detect any breach of the conditions placed on any licences for such matters; all with a view to identifying the person and company responsible and taking appropriate enforcement action against them, and ensuring the removal or licensing of any unlicensed objects.
• To detect abandoned vehicles, bicycles, or other objects on the highway and to take such steps as may be necessary in law to ensure that they are removed.
• To detect offences relating to driving or cycling on the footway, taking such enforcement action against them as may be appropriate
• To detect offences relating to dogs, including dog fouling, dogs without leads, and multiple dog-walking, with a view to identifying the dog owner giving such advice, or taking such enforcement action against them as may be appropriate.
• To undertake surveillance of possible offenders; to interview alleged offenders under caution; to make a recommendation about the appropriate level of enforcement (prosecution, service of notice, issue of fixed penalty notice etc); to serve summonses; to attend court and give evidence.
Knowledge and Experience:
- At least two years’ relevant experience
- A strong desire to maintain high public realm standards, and customer care
- A positive, motivated, ‘can-do’ approach to work
- Ability to support Senior Management effectively
- An innovative thinker, and yet receptive to ideas from others
- Excellent communication and listening skills, with the ability to diffuse confrontational situations, and also to learn from others
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation and powers (i.e. Environmental Protection Act 1990, Control of Pollution Act 1974, Highways Act 1980), and ability to apply appropriately
- Experience and/or willingness to work across boundaries jointly with others to find solutions
- Ability to identify and analyse problematic issues (for example, situations affecting street scene or cleanliness, or contractual, or internal performance), and to devise and take appropriate remedial action to improve and maintain excellent standards
- Ability to write clear, persuasive, and concise reports requiring minimal editing
- Strong IT skills
- Commitment to working within a multi-cultural inner city Borough
- A genuine interest in the environment, and waste reduction in particular
- Availability to work flexibly according to the demands of the service including weekends, evenings, nights, and bank holidays
- Willingness to wear a uniform
- Post holders are required to possess a clean full UK driving licence
- Background in waste management and / or street scene enforcement
- Background in contract management
Officer will be required to work on an 8hr shift pattern from Tuesday to Saturday each week. It will be an 8hr shift starting no earlier than 3pm and finishing no later than 2am. The officer will have every Sunday and Monday off. The core of the work will be to focus on unauthorised commercial waste, issuing notices and taking enforcement action where required.
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email email@example.com