Environmental Health Officer / Private Sector Housing Officer
Buckingham Futures have an excellent opportunity in East London for an Environmental Health Officer / Private Sector Housing Officer.
- The investigation of housing complaints referred to the Private Sector Housing team using his/her own initiative and to take the necessary action in order to improve housing conditions in the private rented sector.
- To carry out site surveys and inspections of all dwellings including houses in multiple occupation and to assess compliance with relevant legislation and Council policies.
- To assist with the implementation of the Government HMO Licensing system, the Council’s Empty Property Strategy and Decent Homes Initiative.
- To identify remedies for defects/management issues with regard to private sector housing and to write schedules of work to bring premises up to appropriate standards.
- To take appropriate enforcement action, serve formal notices, preparation of proceedings, gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses and attendance at Court/Tribunal/ Enquiry/committee. To arrange and undertake works in default as necessary.
- To work with, provide advice and guidance to landlords and tenants, members of the public, other Council Departments and outside bodies in relation to the promotion of repair, standards, improvement and energy efficiency around housing conditions.
Education, Training and Knowledge
- A Degree in Environmental Health and registered with or working towards registration with the EHRB; or a Degree in a relevant housing/building relatedor if you do not possess a relevant degree an HND/C (or equivalent) in a relevant housing/building related discipline.
- Certified by the CIEH or other recognisedorganisation as competent in using HHSRS.
- To have a general knowledge of the legislation,policy, technical and legal requirements and housing enforcement processes relevant to private sector
- To have specific knowledge of HMOs, the standardsand the licensing requirements.
- To have an understanding of general and currentlocal authority and housing issues.
- To have experience in the technical and enforcement operations of a private sector housing team within a Local Authority.
- To have experience of surveying / inspections of buildings and be able to identify defects and appropriate remedies.
- To have practical experience of applying the HHSRS to assess hazards within a residential dwelling and be able to determine appropriate remedies to reduce the risk to acceptable levels.
- To have experience in drafting schedules of works tobring properties up to acceptable standards.
- To have experience of taking enforcement action inelation to private sector housing.
- To have experience of dealing with HMOs including
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email email@example.com