Environmental Protection Officer
1 day left
- Full Time
Buckingham Futures have an excellent opportunity in the East Midlands for an Environmental Protection Officer to perform specified duties relating to environmental protection in respect of land and water quality, development proposals, and statutory nuisance and to develop and implement policies in accordance with statutory or locally determined objectives.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To review reports submitted by consultants, in respect of potentially contaminated land and/or proposals to remediate contaminated land in order to ensure compliance with the Council's statutory duties, aims and objectives in respect of contaminated land.
- To carry out research and investigations and to inspect individual sites, to determine the location of contaminated land within the district. To prepare a programme with an appropriate priority rating for dealing with contaminated land.
- To liaise with owners, occupiers and developers of potentially contaminated land in relation to the environmental impact of individual sites.
- To research and respond to environmental search enquiries, in accordance with national and/or local performance objectives.
- To investigate complaints of statutory nuisance and to take action to prevent the nuisance from arising and/or recurring including the preparation of information for the service of statutory notices.
- To undertake inspections of premises and operations/businesses as required by statute and/or for the Authority's policies and practices.
- To programme pro-active work in accordance with the general guidelines relating to the Section's duties; and to provide specialist advice to other divisions of the council in respect of contaminated land.
- To oversee the satisfactory discharge of the authorities duties with respect to recreational and drinking water quality including the development and implementation of routine water sampling protocols.
- To seek to ensure compliance with legal requirements and other statutory/non statutory controls by adopting a positive approach to enforcement where necessary, service of statutory notices and the gathering and presentation of evidence and attendance at court.
Type of Experience
- The postholder should have a minimum of one year's experience in environmental protection/pollution control duties undertaken by a local authority.
- The postholder shall possess the Diploma/Degree in Environmental Health and will be registered with the Environmental Health Registration Board (EHRB) or alternatively possess a relevant science degree.
- Knowledge of local authority contaminated land functions
- Appreciation of remediation techniques for contaminated land.
- Local Authority commercial and domestic noise control legislation and guidance/standards.
- An appreciation of the environmental assessment of planning applications.
- An appreciation and understanding of monitoring equipment and monitoring protocols/standards for Environmental Compartments.
- Administration systems.
- An appreciation of performance targets and statutory indicators.
- Specific software applications for manipulating and reporting data sets.
- An understanding of future legislation and developments in the area of environmental protection.
- Minimum of one year or more experience in pollution control/environmental protection
- Supervision of technical officers.
- Working with elected members
- IT windows based software and geographic information systems (GIS)
- Degree or Diploma in Environmental Health and Registered with the Environmental Health Registration Board (EHRB) or alternatively
- Possess a relevant science degree
- Graduate/Corporate Member of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH)
- Additional Qualification(s) relevant to the post
- Full driving licence with access to a vehicle for use at work.
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Should your application be successful, you will be contacted shortly.
Thank you for your interest in our role. Buckingham Futures endeavours to respond to all applications; however, due to the volume of CVs received, this may not always be possible.
Apply for Environmental Protection Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly