Environmental Health Practitioner
Working on behalf of a Local Authority in the South West of England, Buckingham Futures have an excellent opportunity for a part time EHP to support the Community Health Group Manager by leading and project managing a full service review.
In addition you will support the delivery of the Community Health Service and provide specialist, professional and technical support, through knowledge and experience to service staff.
With support from the Community Health Service Group Manager, undertake a full service redesign, responsible for identifying new options, project management and implementation, ensuring effective and efficient use of staffing resource, equipment, systems and liaise with HR and Unison representatives when appropriate.
Inform and advise Portfolio Holder and other Cabinet and Scrutiny members, writing comprehensive committee reports on the proposals for the revision of the service to members as appropriate.
Be responsible for the development of operational procedures and guidance for the new service to ensure compliance with the law and Council Policy.
Be responsible for supporting staff through a period of organisational change and transformation by addressing issues as appropriate, ensuring excellent service delivery, encouraging a culture of good customer service and driving performance.
To comply with the Council’s Health and Safety at Work policies and Safeguarding duties.
To be committed to the Council’s Equal Opportunities and Safeguarding Policies and to ensure equality of opportunity in service delivery.
To be compliant with Information Governance and Data Protection requirements.
Such other duties as may, from time to time, be assigned to the post holder by the Manager.
- Management Qualification or equivalent experience (essential)
- Recent knowledge of HR procedures with regard to service redesign and new service implementation (essential)
- Comprehensive understanding of the democratic process and political relationships within local authorities
- BSc (Hons) Environmental Health or MSc Environmental Health (desirable)
- Recent and extensive knowledge of all Environmental Health and Licensing Services within Local Authority including relevant legislation and Codes of Practice (desirable)
- A proactive leadership approach and excellent team working skills
- Positive and innovative approach to service review and development
- Flexible and innovative approach to problem solving
- Excellent project management skills
- Self-motivated and able to motivate others
- Effective organisational skills for self and team members
- The ability to communicate both orally and in writing, particularly in relation to report writing and development of working procedures and flow charts.
- Able to deal sympathetically and be empathetic with staff and members of the public.
- Ability to build and maintain good working relationships and trust with staff, colleagues and members.
- Ability to interpret legislation in a pragmatic manner
- To work effectively and efficiently to meet strict deadlines
- To be a competent I.T. user and to use and develop systems for data storage and reporting purposes
- Extensive service management experience preferably in relation to delivery of environmental health and licensing services
- Previous experience of service redesign and new service implementation
- Experience of managing change within organisations
- Experience of operating at a senior level within local government organisations
- Experience of working with Councillors and Senior Management
- Extensive project management experience
- Extensive experience of implementing HR policies and recruitment processes
- Experience of facilitating staff workshops
- Previous experience of working with Union Representatives
- Writing and presenting reports to a variety of audiences including members and staff
- Extensive experience of developing procedures and work flows
- Contacts/ Relationships Support for and regular contact with Community Health Services Group Manager, service staff and other staff across the organisation providing information to other professional officers to enable them to deliver the service, directing and motivating other staff to adhere to legal process and Council Policy.
- This role focuses on identify the future structure for the strategic and tactical delivery of both statutory and discretionary services and as a professional expert will support the Group Manager on reviewing the Community Health Service.
- Regular contact with HR advisors and Unison representatives during project management of service review.
- Use initiative as required to deputise for the Manager on occasions
Problem Solving/ Creativity
The post holder will be expected to use innovative thinking, their experience and their knowledge to identify options for service improvement and redesign and to develop the subsequent procedures in support.
The post holder will be expected to use their specialist knowledge and experience to support professional staff within the team.
The post holder will be required to prepare reports for Council Committees and must be able to express professional service delivery in a format that the public and political decision makers understand.
The post holder will identify options for service redesign, develop and implement a project plan to the agreement of the Community Health Service Group Manager
No direct line management but to offer professional support Community Health Staff
Physical Effort /conditions
The majority of the work will be office based with possible remote working being agreed on an occasional basis with the Community Health Services Group Manager
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email email@example.com
Should your application be successful, you will be contacted shortly.
Thank you for your interest in our role. Buckingham Futures endeavours to respond to all applications; however, due to the volume of CVs received, this may not always be possible.