Corporate Health and Safety Advisor
Corporate Health and Safety Advisor
Salary: £29,691 - £38,769
Contracted Hours: 37 hours per week (Monday to Friday)
Closing Date: 19 November 2017
Situated on the River Thames, Thurrock is an ambitious unitary with vision and opportunities for its residents and businesses. With growing ports at London Gateway and Tilbury; and strategically positioned off the M25 and A13 we are a hive of regeneration and growth. Thurrock is a mixed urban/rural/industrial authority with the potential to offer an interesting and varied work profile.
Thurrock Council offers the opportunity for an enthusiastic, suitably qualified and experienced officer to be an integral part of a dedicated Public Protection department. The role will offer the successful candidate an opportunity to carry out a variety of occupational health and safety work within a large public sector organisation.
As the Corporate Health and Safety Advisor you will be involved in:
- Investigating accidents and proposing controls to minimise the risk of recurrence
- Researching controls to minimise the risks involved with work operations
- Advising senior managers on the health and safety standards required to ensure compliance with relevant legislation
- Assisting in the organisation and management of health and safety organisation wide
- Devising health and safety management systems and controls
As the ideal candidate you should have:
- Extensive experience of occupational health and safety work
- A relevant health and safety qualification
- A full NEBOSH Diploma level
- BSc (Hons) Environmental Health or equivalent
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience working in an occupational health and safety role
- Experience of devising and delivering new organisational policies and procedures
- Experience of an in house waste collection service / DLO would be an advantage
- A full driving licence and use of a car to be able to travel around the borough
In return we offer a competitive salary and benefits including:
- Flexible working to enable work life balance
- Generous annual leave- 25 days rising to 30 after 5 years
- Option to buy additional annual leave
- Comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme
- Excellent training opportunities and an established CPD programme
A Disclosure and Barring Service check at enhanced level will be required.
If you would like to have an informal conversation regarding the role please contact Tony Sprackling, Principal Environmental Health Officer & Corporate Safety Manager, on 07900162013. Please note that calls from canvassers will not be accepted.
We reserve the right to close this advert before the published closing date should we receive a sufficient number of applications.
Our vision – Thurrock: a place of opportunity, enterprise and excellence where individuals, communities and businesses flourish.
Thurrock is an exciting place to live and work. We are an emerging cultural and arts centre, home to the production centre for the Royal Opera House and the National Skills Academy for Creative and Cultural Skills . We have retail and leisure that is among the best, with the magnificent intu Lakeside , and breath-taking countryside all around. There is over 1,000 acres of land ready for commercial development and there are likely to be 30,000 new homes built with transport links that can get you into London and other parts of the UK quickly and easily.
We are an area of massive growth; £6bn has already been invested by the private sector in Thurrock. We have seen 7,000 new jobs created, with a further 30,000 anticipated in the next 20 years, and 1,170 new businesses in the borough, with leading centres in ports and logistics, retail and creative industries.
Thurrock Council is an Investors in People (IIP) Gold accredited organisation and committed to equal opportunities. As a Disability Confident Employer, disabled people will be offered an interview where they meet all essential criteria on the person specification. We champion flexible working and job share applications are welcome.
We serve a diverse community where people are different yet equal. Diversity underpins everything we do.