Food Safety Officer
Food Safety Officer
Salary: £24,147 - £31,515 per annum (pro rata)
Contracted Hours: 15 hours per week
Advert Closing Date: 19 November 2017
Situated on the River Thames, Thurrock is an ambitious unitary with vision and opportunities for its residents and businesses. With growing ports at London Gateway and Tilbury; and strategically positioned off the M25 and A13 we are a hive of regeneration and growth. Thurrock being a mixed urban/ rural/ industrial authority, this role has the potential to offer an interesting and varied work profile.
Thurrock’s Public Protection department is recruiting a Food Safety Officer to join this robust and efficient service. This is a part time role which will be covered over two working days. Tasks in the role will include food hygiene, food standards, infectious disease control and imported food work streams.
The Food Safety Officer will be responsible for:
- Carrying out food inspections across a wide range of food businesses and determining necessary follow-up actions
- Managing and co-ordinating food sampling for the Local Authority
- Responding to and investigating individual notifications of food poisoning and assisting in the investigation of food poisoning outbreaks
- Investigating complaints relating to food or food premises
As the ideal candidate you should:
- Have successfully completed the Higher Certificate in Food Control
- Be EHRB registered and have a minimum two years’ experience
- A full driving licence and use of a car to be able to travel around the borough
In return we offer a competitive salary and benefits including:
- Flexible working to enable work life balance
- Generous annual leave- 25 days rising to 30 after 5 years (pro rata)
- Option to buy additional annual leave
- Comprehensive Employee Assistance Programme
- Excellent training opportunities and an established CPD programme
A Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check at a standard level will be required for this role.
For an informal discussion about this post, please contact Gareth Olive, Principal Environmental Health Officer on 01375 652110. Please note that calls from canvassers will not be accepted.
We reserve the right to close this advert before the published closing date should we receive a sufficient number of applications.
Our vision – Thurrock: a place of opportunity, enterprise and excellence where individuals, communities and businesses flourish.
Thurrock is an exciting place to live and work. We are an emerging cultural and arts centre, home to the production centre for the Royal Opera House and the National Skills Academy for Creative and Cultural Skills. We have retail and leisure that is among the best, with the magnificent intu Lakeside, and breath-taking countryside all around. There is over 1,000 acres of land ready for commercial development and there are likely to be 30,000 new homes built with transport links that can get you into London and other parts of the UK quickly and easily.
We are an area of massive growth; £6bn has already been invested by the private sector in Thurrock. We have seen 7,000 new jobs created, with a further 30,000 anticipated in the next 20 years, and 1,170 new businesses in the borough, with leading centres in ports and logistics, retail and creative industries.
Thurrock Council is an Investors in People (IIP) Gold accredited organisation and committed to equal opportunities. As a Disability Confident Employer, disabled people will be offered an interview where they meet all essential criteria on the person specification. We champion flexible working and job share applications are welcome.
We serve a diverse community where people are different yet equal. Diversity underpins everything we do.