Health and Safety Officer
Health and Safety Officer
£27,234 to £31,341 per annum
We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated individual to provide proactive, pragmatic operational Health and Safety advice and practical support with delivery of health and safety to colleagues across the Authority. Reporting to the Law & Governance Group Manager and onward to Corporate Management Team and the Chief Executive, you will be responsible for the development, implementation, delivery, monitoring and review of a comprehensive service in respect of operational corporate health and safety and welfare matters to the Authority ensuring compliance against all relevant legislation, and advising CMT of the need to procure or seek external health and safety consultant specialists where relevant.
The post holder will be responsible for:
- Supporting Officers with the co-ordination, implementation and provision of advice and practical application on all aspects relating to operational health and safety across the Authority.
- Advising the Chief Executive and CMT on matters affecting the operational Health and Safety of the organisation
- Influencing and monitoring contractors and partners (tenants) as necessary
- Directing all staff in relevant H&S matters and providing necessary training
- Provide support to any Strategic Health & Safety Consultant appointed to manage specific major projects, significant incident management or wider strategic review
A minimum of a NEBOSH Certificate is required as well as up to date working knowledge of best practice and developments in workplace H&S legislation, procedures and safe systems of work. Demonstrable recent experience of managing a comprehensive health and safety function within a complex organisation would be beneficial. NEBOSH Diploma qualification in Occupational Safety (or working towards) would be desirable. Applicants should also be fully IT literate with good interpersonal and communication skills.
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact David Clark on (01749) 341539.
As a council, Mendip District Council promotes a culture of flexible / agile working. With this in mind, we are happy to discuss suggestions as to how the responsibilities of this role can be met through a flexible approach to hours and / or location as well as job share opportunities.
Further details and an application pack can be obtained from our website (www.mendip.gov.uk/vacancies) or by telephoning 0300 303 8588.
Closing date for applications is Friday, 13 October 2017.