Housing Licensing Officer
1 day left
- Full Time
Buckingham Futures have an amazing opportunity in North London for a Housing Licensing Officer to take responsibility for the development, implementation, delivery and maintenance of an Additional House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licensing Scheme or Selective Licensing Scheme for private rented properties as considered appropriate, thus improving the quality and management of these properties.
NB – this is a 12 month fixed term contract
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- To gather together national information on the Additional Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) and Selective Licensing of private rented properties, including schemes proposed or implemented by other Local authorities, so gaining an in depth understanding of current practice and procedure.
- To gather together and produce a report, informed by the national information, setting out all the current available local information and evidence relating to the introduction of an appropriate licensing scheme e.g. stock condition, antisocial behaviour, low demand etc, and identifying further work that will need to be undertaken to collect the appropriate information and evidence to inform and support the introduction of a licensing scheme.
- Take responsibility to develop and implement any actions agreed from the above report to gather the necessary information and evidence to inform the introduction of an appropriate licensing scheme in the Borough.
- Produce a report setting out the detailed information and evidence compiled clearly proposing the licensing options for consideration e.g. type, design, area covered, phasing, timescales, penalties etc, making recommendations where appropriate for consideration. This should consider the risks, fees, costs, benefits, equalities and resources etc relating to each option.
- Undertake appropriate engagement and consultation with all interested parties e.g. Landlords, letting agents, tenants, residents, Registered Providers, Police, Fire and Rescue, members and officers etc. ensuring that all necessary and appropriate steps are undertaken to implement a suitable private rented sector housing licensing scheme designation.
- Ensure that appropriate application forms, policies, processes and procedures for the licensing scheme are clearly designed, set out and approved and that any notices relating to the scheme are correctly published along with other suitable information to inform all interested parties of the scheme.
- Implement the selected private rented sector licensing scheme in a manageable and timely manner with effective systems developed and in place to ensure that applications for licenses are assessed and processed correctly with appropriate records and a register of licenses accurately maintained.
- Monitor the private rented market to make sure that when the licensing scheme is implemented all landlords are adhering to the scheme and licensing properties accordingly. If cases of noncompliance are discovered ensuring that appropriate action is taken against the landlord or his agent and that any penalties/fines imposed are publicised.
- To gain a detailed understanding of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System to inform the implementation of the private rented housing licensing scheme and enable consultation with officers with regard to inspections undertaken as part of any licensing scheme.
- To assist with the delivery and promotion of landlord forums, landlord accreditation schemes, and other schemes and events to improve the quality, condition and management of private sector housing especially where these link to the licensing of private rented properties.
It is essential that the post holder can demonstrate up to date knowledge of housing and other legislation relevant to the post and specifically the Acts relating to grants, housing conditions, enforcement and the licensing of houses in multiple occupation within the private sector.
The post holder must have a detailed understanding of a local authorities strategic and private sector housing functions which is likely to have been gained from at least three years experience in a senior housing position.
Demonstrable experience of successful project management and delivery within a local authority strategic housing function environment.
If you have the right experience for this role and feel your skills and experience match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email email@example.com
Should your application be successful, you will be contacted shortly.
Thank you for your interest in our role. Buckingham Futures endeavours to respond to all applications; however, due to the volume of CVs received, this may not always be possible.
Apply for Housing Licensing Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly