Sustainability / Climate Change Officer
Our client in East London is looking for a Sustainability and Climate Change officer to join its Conservation, Design and Sustainability team within the newly formed Growth Team, you will be responsible for sustainability and climate change tasks that enable the successful delivery of the objectives of the team.
You will actively promote continuous improvement for sustainability and climate change within the Planning Service through assessing a range of planning applications and proposals, and working proactively and collaboratively across departments and directorate, to share knowledge, experience and information resources.
You will lead in the active promotion of best practice through development of new approaches that embed sustainability in development management process; policy making; positively responding to the localism agenda, and through embracing innovation. Actively work with developers to develop energy strategies and where necessary negotiate S106 cash in lieu Carbon Offset contributions.
- Assisting the CUDS Manager in contributing to the physical, economic and social regeneration of the Borough, ensuring planning permissions and resultant development are of high quality and respond to climate change at a local level, and deliver policy objectives as set out in national, regional (London Plan) and local planning policy frameworks and related strategies.
- Work in collaboration with senior management and stakeholder representatives to inform policy formulation and evaluation in support of the Council’s statutory functions and delivery of advice and services through Council departments and partner organisations.
- Lead on development of new approaches to service delivery, policy development, and in particular, develop an innovative and value for money response to new sustainability initiatives from the Localism Bill including Neighbourhood planning.
- Liaise with corporate colleagues and in particular the Central Policy Team to interpret national policy and changes to legislation regarding sustainability and climate change and develop policies within the development management process.
- Represent the Planning Service as a single point of contact for all matters involving climate change and sustainability.
- 2 years experience of working in either the Planning policy or sustainable development fields.
- Extensive knowledge of up to date issues regarding sustainability/climate change legislation, policy and procedural framework within which the planning service operates.
- Able to write clear, concise letters, reports and policy documents.
- Significant experience of assessing Energy and Sustainability strategies in an urban environment, including extensive knowledge of the both the BREEAM Assessment models and the SBEM calculation methodology.
- Experience of setting targets.
- Experience of monitoring performance and suggesting new ways of doing things.
- Experience of working in teams that takes account of the needs of diverse stakeholder groups.
Qualification to degree level in Environmental / Sustainability / Energy Planning.
If you have the right skills, experience and qualifications for these roles and feel you match the requirements, or if you would like more information on the role, please contact us on 020 8732 5450 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should your application be successful, you will be contacted shortly.
Thank you for your interest in our role. Buckingham Futures endeavours to respond to all applications; however, due to the volume of CVs received, this may not always be possible.